UltravioletPhotography

[Filter Test] StraightEdgeU (v2016) vs. BaaderU: The Evil Clown of Middletown

Andrea B.

Perhaps some things should not be photographed in any light? This crazy clown sign in my township might qualify as one of them. There are citizens in town who think this clown is so unusual and unique that they are applying for an official historical marker to plant beside it. Some of the rest of us are not so sure this is a good idea.

Calico Clown has been featured no less than 6 times in the magazine Weird NJ. See also Weird NJ: Calico the Evil Clown of Middletown. And recently Calico was seen in my 340/10 filter test. I also made a few shots of him with some of my regular UV filters while testing the new StraightEdgeU. The sign was refurbished not too long ago, so presents a colourful visible appearance. However, in UV the paint does not show any particularly interesting effects. So now we know!

Note: The EXIF inside these files may be inaccurate because they were saved as copies off a PS stack. The data inside the brackets is correct.

Equipment [Nikon D600-Broadband + Coastal Optics 60/4.0 + RRS GroundPod]

Visible [f/4.5 for 1/800" @ ISO-100 in Sunlight with Baader UV/IR-Cut Filter]

clown_visSun_20160820middletownNJ_49166pnADJ03.jpg

And now we learn that a painted sign is rather drab looking in UV. Oh well.

Ultraviolet [f/8 for 1' @ ISO-100 in Sunlight with StraightEdgeU UV-Pass Filter]

clown_uvStraightEdgeUSun_20160820middletownNJ_49235pnADJ.jpg

Ultraviolet [f/8 for 1' @ ISO-100 in Sunlight with BaaderU UV-Pass Filter]

clown_uvBaaderUSun_20160820middletownNJ_49189pnADJ.jpg