UltravioletPhotography

[Filter Test] 340/10 #2 Cured the flare but it's ring around the posy here

Andrea B.

See Also:

[Filter Test 340/10 #1] Gotta work out a problem or two, but here is a 340/10 result anyway

[Filter Test 340/10 #2] here

[Filter Test 340/10 #3] Trying again with the 340/10

[Filter Test 340/10 #4] Edmund Hard-coated 340/10 Rear-mount Experiment

[Filter Test 340/10 #5] Edmund Hard-coated 340/10, Sunflower, Sun

[Filter Test] 340/10 #6 Progress was made, finally. UPDATE: Progress was then lost.

Really, I'm having fun. :D

Eventually I'll stumble upon just the right combo of rings, extensions, mounts and/or other widgets.

Or maybe I won't. I suppose we don't really know at this point.

I'm thinking FLOCKING. Where can I get some flocking stuff?

Check out the reflection rings in that 2nd shot below.

I have seen this before with certain shiny stuff.

At least I cured the flare.

But we are perhaps getting a small glimpse of what life looks like down there between 335-345 nm (give or take a couple of nanometers).

Added: This sunflower has bright yellow petals and a dark brown center.

[before anyone asks, the sensor was clean when I started this shoot. It only stays clean for about 3 shots. Someday when I am rich & famous I'll get a new conversion.]

f/16 for 10" @ ISO-100

Nikon D600-BB + Coastal Optics 60/4.0

sunflower_uv340fwhm10_sun_20160823_13084130wf_49465pn.jpg

f/32 for 15" @ ISO-100

Nikon D600-BB + Coastal Optics 60/4.0

sunflower_uv340fwhm10_sun_20160823_13095480wf_49471pn.jpg

I'm thinking FLOCKING. Where can I get some flocking stuff?

THORLABS has Black Flocked Self-Adhesive Paper and several other nice options. I used some of the self adhesive paper several years back to seal light leaks inside an old monochromator. The amateur astronomy folks also use the stuff in rolls so one might find affordable alternatives from some of their online suppliers. Protostar is one I have considered should I need any myself.

What is the diameter and thickness of your filter? It might just be that the edges need painting with a good flat black.

Yes, I was using the special CO60 hood made (by Bjørn) from extension tubes which quells the CO60 hot spot at certain magnifications by blocking rays entering peripherally. A hood helps prevent flare but cannot do anything to prevent all the shiny reflections produced by this mirrored filter.

Then I added another hood to that. Which of course also did not help.

Next I'll try an alternate filter mount and also try rear mounting this filter.

Well, I have something similar to you, I dug it out, 330AF20 from Omega as I remember, 49mm standard camera filter frame/ring.

Been forever since I tried it. It also has a bit of color shift from center to sides, but much more subtle, and only when I was more pointed toward the sun.

Plus, I didn't have the right mount for infinity focus with me, and I forgot to wrap the mount, because the Nikons I have have a little light leak under the mounts.

So I will need to test again, because I don't remember it having any problems like that before, so it might be the light leak around the mount in my case I think, because I know the mount I was using is susceptible

to a light leak if not taped or wrapped.

I will try again, and show you.

Basically I just remember a similar color/look to yours, all yellow/green looking.

Here are some test pics Boon shot with the 330AF20:

http://myphotojourney.co.uk/35mm-f3-5-lens-shootout-page-2/