UltravioletPhotography

Myosotis decumbens [Mountain Forget-Me-not]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2013. Myosotis decumbens Host. (Boraginaceae). Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...-forget-me-not/

Myosotis decumbens Host

Syn. M. sylvatica Ehrh. ex Hoffm. ssp. frigida Vestergr.

NO: Fjellforglemmegei,fjellminneblom

SE: Fjällförgätmigej

DK: Fjeld-Forglemmigej

FI: Lapinlemmikki

DE: Niederliegendes Vergißmeinnicht

EN: Mountain Forget-me-not

This is a mountain species native to the Nordic countries, with some occurrences in the Alps further south. Closely related species are M. sylvatica Hoffm. and M. alpestris F.W.Schmidt, and the taxonomy and nomenclature of these species are still a little languid. They appear to be well separated in their biotope preferences and are easily identifiable in the field. M. decumbers occurs on moist alpine meadows or along brooks, often growing together with various alpine willows (Salix spp.).

Plants collected and photographed in situ at Filefjell, Norway 3 Jul 2012.

MYOS_DEC_I12070324752_VIS.jpg

Image reference: MYOS_DEC_I12070324752_VIS.jpg

Visible light: Nikon D300, Medical-Nikkor 120 mm f/4 lens, built-in ring flash..

MYOS_DEC_I1207030894_UV.jpg

Image reference: MYOS_DEC_I1207030894_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light: Panasonic GH-2, Coastal Optics 60 mm f/4 APO lens, Baader U 2" (Venus) filter, SB-140 flash.

In the same manner as seen with other Myosotis species, the flowers of M. decumbens alter their UV appearance as they age. They initially are very UV dark to end up quite UV bright.

[Published 17 Apr 2013]