UltravioletPhotography

Myosotis sylvatica [Wood Forget-me-not]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2013. Myosotis sylvatica Ehrh. ex Hoffm. (Boraginaceae). Wood Forget-me-not. Normal and albino forms. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...-forget-me-not/

Myosotis sylvatica Ehrh. ex Hoffm.

NO: Skogforglemmegei, skogminneblom

SE: Skogsförgätmigej,trädgårdsförgätmigej

DK: Skov-Forglemmigej

FI: Puistolemmiki

DE: Wald-Vergißmeinnicht

EN: Wood Forget-me-not

This is a fairly low-growing perennial species native to Europe and adjacent areas of Asia. It is not native to most of the Nordic countries, but occurs entirely naturalised in the southern districts. Many localities arise from garden escapes. Its main habitat is shaded deciduous forests. Flowering commences in later spring and continues into July.

The normal form is with pale blue flowers. Like most of the members of this genus, the flowers change colours when development of the cymes progresses. Colour of the corolla changes from pink to blue as the flower gets older.

Plants collected and photographed near Oslo, Norway 23 May 2012.

MYOS_SYL_I1205230008_VIS.jpg

Image reference: MYOS_SYL_I1205230008_VIS.jpg

Visible light: Panasonic GH-2, Coastal Optics 60 mm f/4 APO lens, Baader UV/IR Cut filter, daylight.

Albino forms are not uncommon. These plants were found growing intermixted with the normal, blue form.

MYOS_SYL_I1205230009_VIS.jpg

Image reference: MYOS_SYL_I1205230009_VIS.jpg

Visible light: Panasonic GH-2, Coastal Optics 60 mm f/4 APO lens, Baader UV/IR Cut filter, daylight.

In terms of UV appearence there do not seem to be any difference between albino and normal plants. Both forms show a changeable UV signature that reflects the development stage of the flower. Young flowers are very UV-dark and brighten as they age. Pollen is seen on the corolla in the intermediate stage of development. Conical cells are frequent.

MYOS_SYL_I1205230025_UV.jpg

Image reference: MYOS_SYL_I1205230025_UV.jpg

Normal blue form. Ultraviolet light: Panasonic GH-2, Coastal Optics 60 mm f/4 APO lens, Baader U 2" (Venus) filter, SB-140 flash.

MYOS_SYL_I1205230016_UV.jpg

Image reference: MYOS_SYL_I1205230016_UV.jpg

Albino form. Ultraviolet light: Panasonic GH-2, Coastal Optics 60 mm f/4 APO lens, Baader U 2" (Venus) filter, SB-140 flash.

[Published 17 Apr 2013]