UltravioletPhotography

Shortwave UV Imaging for SBUV and RUVIS

Hi!

I just posted the full construction whitepaper for my latest diy project. This time I built two imaging systems for viewing in the shortwave UV. These can be used to experiment with solar-blind UV applications (daylight high voltage corona detection, missile plume detection, flame detection, etc.) and RUVIS (a forensic technique for imaging fingerprints and other evidence without contact).

The blog post is at: http://uvirimaging.c...-ruvis-imaging/

and the whitepaper (a clean version of the post with high-res pictures) at: http://uvirimaging.c...and-cameras.pdf

I am now experimenting with evaporating thin films of organic and inorganic phosphors straight onto camera sensors to extend their range below 300 nm. I’ll report on these once I set the sensors for an apples-to-apples comparison.

Please drop me a note if you have worked on UV-enhancement of camera sensors. I would love to learn from your experience!

Cheers,

David

www.UVIRimaging.com

post-62-0-63246000-1467896076.jpg

Thank you for the link to the complete construction of this device. Very cool of you to share!

We have had some members attempt high voltage corona captures.

You device constructions make me want to ask you if you have ever constructed a DIY spectrograph? I was recently looking at the devices on following link https://spectroscopy.wordpress.com/.

I haven't pursued the articles in depth, but it did look interesting.

Andy Perrin
This is fascinating, thanks! I would love to experiment with this one of these days. Are there any photos from your device available? I saw a number of example pics, but they all seemed to be from Ofil. Also, is it possible to do reflectography? All the images are of direct emission and they always seem to come out pure white.

Hi Andy,

Those images from Ofil were my motivation for starting to experiment in the shortwave UV, but I agree that I need to capture and post some images of what can be expected from the diy converters.

I can tell you that flames are visible on both using the filter that I mention in the blog. However, they are not anywhere nearly as visible as shown by Ofil (they use MCP-based intensifiers that are exquisitely sensitive in the SBUV). I could also see fingerprints on a clean surface by illuminating with a strong, filtered SW UV lamp. I'm scared of that lamp, so I'll need to set up a safe environment to acquire some images to post.

Andrea - Re diy spectrograph - yes, but not into the UV. I do have access to one once in a while when I visit a friend in Germany. Thinking about it, I'll try to build one once my sensor coating attempts give better results. I briefly looked at the site you referenced. Very neat! Thank you!

Cheers,

David

I would imagine that lightning photography in the daytime would be possible with gear such as this. I wonder what a thunderstorm cell might look like.