UltravioletPhotography

Buzzard's Bay, Wareham, Massachusetts

Andy Perrin

Andy Perrin

I was out and about a couple of weeks ago photographing Buzzard's Bay.

All pix: sunshine, NEX-7, 330WB80 back-mounted.

I fiddled freely with how I processed the colors. Most of them have the saturation upped, and in several cases I removed the sky color.

Onset beach (F16 3.2" ISO200)

post-94-0-26840900-1466094758.jpg

Onset beach (F16 2.5" ISO200)

post-94-0-92911700-1466094868.jpg

Onset beach (F16(?) 1/30" ISO3200) - taken handheld, that's why the settings are so different. First two were tripod.

post-94-0-47622400-1466094925.jpg

Along the coast of Buzzard's Bay (F3.5 1/60" ISO1600)

post-94-0-73113400-1466095016.jpg

Another part of the coast (F5.6 1/30" ISO3200)

post-94-0-16321000-1466095099.jpg

Boats in Wareham (F5.6 1/30" ISO3200)

post-94-0-20951000-1466095169.jpg

One notices that the Dacron sail of the catamaran in frame 4 is absorbing shorter wavelengths. I am curious if this is inherent to the material itself or whether some solar protectant dopant was added to the fibers.

I like the first frame the best. It might also work as b&w.

Andy Perrin
Heh, thanks, and I like the first frame best, too. That's why it's first! (Theory: if you want people to keep looking, put your best work up front.)
Andy Perrin

Something interesting about the paint on the house in the first frame. Compare to the visible image (sorry for smartphone quality):

post-94-0-61441300-1466114096.jpg

Vs. the UV (crop of above):

post-94-0-62535400-1466114130.jpg

A very enjoyable view of the Bay area in UV. It is always fascinating -- and strange -- to me to see what the world looks like in UV.

The houses are interesting. I don't know what's going on with that leftmost house exactly. Two different types of paint or whatever finish was used. Stucco? (which contains pigment too of course).

I like the beach scenes with the people. There are some 'ghosts'.

These are really great images, they have a vintage feel to them. I like the almost monochromatic ones and all the grain, it makes them look almost Victorian?

What is causing those patches of pink, especially near the edges? I thought maybe it was due to the angle of the light, but a rear filter would stop that happening right?

Guessing they repainted the front of the house for some reason?

Andy Perrin

Thanks!

Re the pink -- I have been having some kind of bizarre light leak that I cannot figure out where it's coming from. Drives me nuts.

Andy, how is that filter constructed? Is there any coating? Does it have layers? Are there any metal parts which could be casting reflections back onto the sensor? Does any part of the filter fluoresce? Does the leak only happen when the light source is in the front and not behind you?
Andy Perrin
Andrea, I think it's tinted glass coated with layers to generate interference. I don't think there's anything that could cast reflections back on the sensor except the rear of the filter itself? The filter does not fluoresce. I haven't been able to work out WHEN the darn leak happens because I mostly can't see it except in the longer exposures so it's usually not visible from the live view. It's when I get it home and try to process the photos that I see it usually. (On a few rare occasions it was so strong that I could see it on the screen, but I couldn't tell what was making it come and go. Waving my hand around DID make it flicker on and off but if anything it was light from the REAR that was doing it. Shining on the back of the camera. Make something of that! I tried two lens shades with no effect.

....Waving my hand around DID make it flicker on and off but if anything it was light from the REAR that was doing it. Shining on the back of the camera. Make something of that! I tried two lens shades with no effect.

I found a light leak around the LVF/LCD button on the back of my LUMIX G3. It was very slight and intermittent because my shadow was normally falling on the back of the camera. I had to resort to shooting a 60" exposure with the body cap on the camera while turning the body at different angles to bright sunlight to discover where it was coming from.

A paper hole punch of black electrical tape covering the seldom used button solved the problem. My unmodified LUMIX G3 does not suffer this leak so I wonder if it is related to the conversion process.

I'm not surprised to hear of light leaks around the button on your Lumix, JD. Really they can happen anywhere. Typically very tiny light leaks cause no or only minor problems in Visible work. We usually don't even detect such a light leak in Visible work. But in UV - well that's a different story as I'm sure many here can confirm.

On my various converted bodies over the years, I've had contaminating light leaks through open port doors, lens aperture windows, mount adapters (both properly fitting but failing to cover small holes or badly fitting), helicoids extended too far, badly fitting step rings and warped card chamber doors. I've heard of light leaks around warped mounts but have been lucky so far on that one.

Then there is the reflection issue which can cause flare or bizarre rings or other strange phenomena. Sometimes I think it is a wonder we get any UV photos at all. :lol: