UltravioletPhotography

Achillea ptarmica [Sneezewort]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2013. Achillea ptarmica L. (Asteraceae). Sneezewort. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...ica-sneezewort/

Achillea ptarmica L.

NO: Nyseryllik

SE: Nysört, tusenskön, tusensköna

DK: Nyse-Røllike

FI: Ojakärsämö

IS: Silfurhnappur

DE: Sumpf-Schafgarbe

EN: Sneezewort

This is a perennial plant of moderate height, up to about 0.5 m, with an extensive distribution is Europe and Asia. It is not native elsewhere. A. ptarmica prefers damp meadows and grassy road sides. It flowers during the summer and the capitula are visited by a wide range of pollinators.

Plants collected and photographed 29 Jul 2010 near Oslo, Norway. After a period of rainy weather, the ray florets had comprehensive damage over their surface.

ACHI_PTA_I1007291020_VIS.jpg

Image reference: ACHI_PTA_I1007291020_VIS.jpg

Visible light: Nikon D40X, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader UV/IR Cut filter, SB-800 flash.

ACHI_PTA_I1007291217_UV.jpg

Image reference: ACHI_PTA_I1007291217_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light: Nikon D40X, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader U 2" (Venus) filter, SB-140 flash.

In UV, the ray florets have darker stripes and patches with presence of conical cells. The weather damage of rays shows up as irregular white blisters. The disc flowers are dark interspersed with shiny points, probably caused by the anthers.

[Published 15 Apr 2013]