UltravioletPhotography

Cardamine pratensis [Cuckooflower]: Another Example

Andrea B.

Blum, A.G. (2016) Another Example of Cardamine pratensis L. (Brassicaceae) Cuckooflower. Flowers photographed in ultraviolet and visible light. http://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/1838-cardamine-pratensis-cuckooflower-another-example/

Prabay House, Isle of Lewis, Scotland, United Kingdom

05 May 2016

Wildflower

Synonyms:

• Lady's Smock
  • Flùr na Cuthaig (Gaelic)

Comment: The Cuckooflower enjoys a damp spring habitat. It is primarily UV-absorbent with a hint of iridescence and having UV-dark stamens and style. I heard Cuckoos calling for the first time in the Scottish woodlands.

Rørslett (2013) first showed C. pratensis in ultraviolet(1).

Reference:

1. Rørslett, B. (2013) Cardamine pratensis L. (Brassicaceae) Cuckooflower. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...s-cuckooflower/

2. Scott, Michael (2011) Scottish Wild Flowers. Cuckooflower, page 163. Birlinn Limited, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

Equipment [sony a7R-broadband + Asahi 85/4.5 Ultra-Achromatic-Takumar]

Visible Light [f/8 for 1/250" @ ISO-64 with Onboard Flash and Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

cardaminePratensis_visSun_20160505backRdLewisIsleScotland_02001.jpg

Visible Light [f/8 for 1/13" @ ISO-64 in Sunlight with Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

Abaxial view.

cardaminePratensis_visSun_20160505backRdLewisIsleScotland_032pn.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/8 for 1/10" @ ISO-400 with SB-140 UV-Flash and Baader UV-Pass Filter]

cardaminePratensis_uvBaadSB14_20160505backRdLewisIsleScotland_050pnpn01.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/8 for 1" @ ISO-400 with SB-140 UV-Flash and Baader UV-Pass Filter]

cardaminePratensis_uvBaadSB14_20160505backRdLewisIsleScotland_0630101.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/8 for 1" @ ISO-400 with SB-140 UV-Flash and Baader UV-Pass Filter]

Abaxial view.

cardaminePratensis_uvBaadSB14_20160505backRdLewisIsleScotland_066pn01.jpg

Andy Perrin
I love this one. I was shooting some kind of Brassicae-type flower yesterday (probably horseradish) but I couldn't get this close. I love the silvery quality.

These are excellent, Andrea.

Yes, in northern Europe we often hear the cuckoo at the same time of the year as C. pratensis blooms.

Thank you both.

The Sony a7R is easier to focus for such close-work when focus peaking is turned off.