UltravioletPhotography

Silene dioica [Red Campion]

Andrea B.

Blum, A.G. (2016) Silene dioica (L.) Clairv. (Caryophyllaceae) Red Campion. Flowers photographed in ultraviolet and visible light. http://www.ultraviol...ca-red-campion/

Loch Tay Lodges, Killin, Scotland, United Kingdom

13 May 2016

Wildflower

Other Common Names:

• Red Catchfly
  • Cìrean Coilich (Gaelic: Cock's Comb)

Comment: This deep candy-pink, spring-blooming European native biennial begins blooming in May in most areas of Scotland. Many insects enjoy its nectar, especially flies. The center reproductive area and throat are UV-dark. The petals are moderately UV-absorbing. The swollen, hairy calyx, characteristic of many of the Silenes, is also UV-dark. High ISO settings were used with moderate success while shooting in very strong spring winds.

Reference:

1. Scott, Michael (2011) Scottish Wild Flowers. Red Campion, page 77. Birlinn Limited, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

Equipment [sony a7R-broadband + Asahi 85/4.5 Ultra-Achromatic-Takumar]

Visible Light [f/8 for 1/500" @ ISO-1250 in Sunlight with Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

DSC01782pn01.jpg

Visible Light [f/8 for 1/320" @ ISO-800 in Sunlight with Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

Two small files enjoy the nectar.

DSC01758pn.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/8 for 1" @ ISO-1250 in Sunlight with Baader UV-Pass Filter]

DSC01780pn01.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/8 for 2" @ ISO-800 in Sunlight with Baader UV-Pass Filter]

DSC01766pn.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/4.5 for 1/8" @ ISO-1250 in Sunlight with Baader UV-Pass Filter]

Two frames were stacked in this composite in an attempt to improve details.

Abaxial view.

DSC01815pnComp.jpg

UV+Blue+Green [f/4 for 1/5" @ ISO-1250 in Sunlight with UG5(1.5mm) + S8612(1.75mm) ]

DSC01789pn01.jpg

BTW, I have high hopes that this somewhat sub-standard example will eventually be joined by a better Silene dioica from one of our UVP members or from me. Not every field trip produces high quality work, but we soldier on anyway.
Andy Perrin
I was surprised you got those two flies in such sharp focus with a 2 second exposure! The pictures are pretty, anyway! How are you liking the new camera? By the way, I have the Neat Image Photoshop plug-in for denoising, and I think it does a nicer job than PN.

I'm still working out the kinks as you can see. The camera is a little more difficult to work with than my D600. My close-up photos improved after I turned off focus peaking which otherwise works fine for landscape or medium distance shooting. There seems to be a lot more noise than I expected at the higher ISO settings. But I need more experience with the camera right now to better learn the appropriate settings.

The little flies must have been tipsy on nectar. I could not shoo them off the flower!