UltravioletPhotography

Vancouveria hexandra [White Inside-out Flower]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2013. Vancouveria hexandra (Hook.) C.Morren & Decne. (Berberidaceae). White Inside-Out Flower. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light, fluorescence included. http://www.ultraviol...ide-out-flower/

Vancouveria hexandra (Hook.) C.Morren & Decne.

NO: Vrengeblom

EN: White Inside-out Flower

This is a small perennial originating from NW coastal states of the US and introduced to Europe. It occurs on deeply shaded floors of moist dense forests. The single Norwegian locality is on calcareous soils in a coastal pine forest. Here V. hexandra grows gregariously and is fully naturalised within the native forest vegetation cover. Plants are vigorous and healthy but their flowering is scarce. Mature fruits were not observed.

V. hexandra is immediately recognised by its peculiar flower appearance. The petal-like sepals are swept backwards to give an impression of the flower being turned inside out.

Plants photographed near Oslo, Norway 18 Jun 2012.

VANC_HEX_B1206182288_VIS.jpg

Image reference: VANC_HEX_B1206182288_VIS.jpg

Visible light: Nikon D300, 120 mm f/4 Medical-Nikkor lens, built-in ring flash.

VANC_HEX_I1206184787_UV.jpg

Image reference: VANC_HEX_I1206184787_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light: Nikon D40X, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader U 2" (Venus) filter, SB-140 flash.

The UV signature of this species is intricate caused by scattered UV-reflective and UV-absorbing parts within the flower. There is little correlation between the visible-light and UV appearance.

VANC_HEX_I1206200430_UVIFL.jpg

Image reference: VANC_HEX_I1206200430_UVIFL.jpg

Ultraviolet-induced visible fluorescence (UVIFL): Nikon D200, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader UV/IR Cut filter, Nichia UV-LED torch (365 nm narrow-band peak). Photographed in total darkness to eliminate any influence of daylight.

The fluorescence of V. hexandra flowers is even more diversified and complex than its UV signature. The red fluorescence in the background probably is from chlorophyll.

[Published 15 Apr 2013]