UltravioletPhotography

ID: Patrinia?

Akira

I'm afraid that the images are ages old and the technology/equipment used was nowhere near the up-to-date ones. However, I think this tiny flower (its diameter is around 5mm) can attract some interest because it is found mostly in Japan, China and East Siberia, according to Wiki. It is called Ominaeshi in Japanese and its scientific name should be Patrinia scabiosifolia. Identification by experts is highly welcomed.

This is in VIS (D2H set at ISO200, JML 50/3.5, sunlight)

post-8-0-20601300-1366022416.jpg

And here is the image shot in UV.

post-8-0-52190100-1366022432.jpg

D2H (unmodified) set at ISO800, JML 50/3.5 enlarger lens (reversed), U-360, BG40, modified Sunpak flash.

Your genus identification appears to be correct. Patrinia belongs to the Caprifoliaceae (Honeysuckle Family). or if a narrower, modern family concept is followed, to the Valerianceae (Valerian Family).

Identification to species is tentative as I have no access to any field key encompassing this genus, and to my understanding foliage characters are important in the specific classification.

Older UV captures are necessary so we can understand better what improvements have developed over time. Your picture does show the corolla is UV reflective and the anthers are UV-absorbing. A new capture today probably will only refine these details and not change the overall UV rendition so to speak.

The main problem in days past was the control of IR contamination. The contaminated UV picture would display any UV marks with much lower contrast and ever so often the UV signature literally washed out.

Bjørn and Andrea, thank you for the inputs. In the earlier stage, I was so fascinated with the invisible "bull's eye" patterns on the flower emerging under UV that I often forgot to include foliage. :) I can refer to the online info on the Japansese species, but they are, of course, in Japanese. Whenever I find any trustworthy online source in English, I will let you know. I have some other old images to share which are shot with D2H or D40 and U-360/BG40 filter combo. I will share here as early samples of UV images, whenever time allows.