UltravioletPhotography

Meyer-Görlitz Primotar 180mm f3.5 in UV (with samples)

Timber

I just got a Meyer-Görlitz Primotar 180mm f3.5 and soon a 135mm f3.5 which are known to be the "poor man's Trioplan" :D If I am not mistaken they are Tessar type lenses with 4 lens in 3 elements and a 15 blade aperture for the awesome smooth bokeh, except wide open (or up to f4.0) where it has the Trioplan's soap bubbles and very strong background. It is usually coming in M42 or Exakta mount, but I do not recommend the Exakta mount for the 180mm as it is the external EXA mount so adaptation is not possible (the 135mm is the usual EXA mount, easy to adapt on EOS or mirrorless). My version came insanely cheap from Ebay due to the aperture was faulty... some blades jumped out of their position. After a roughly 30-40 minutes repair process the lens was cleaned, lubed and working properly. Also during this time my wife learned to swear in Hungarian fluently :D

Unfortunately the UK weather is not my friend and usually when I am at work it's nice and sunny, when I am home it's overcast, so I had the same thing today, actually just after I took the camera inside it started to rain. Even with such a non UV friendly weather I was able to give a try to this big and chunky lens.

My findings are:

- the UV capabilities of this lens is slightly better than the Nikon E-Series 50mm, but lagging behind the Meritar 50mm. I tested all lenses at f4.0 and compared the white balance of each lens as previously that seemed to be a good indication of the lens' capabilities. As it started to rain I could not compare it to the EL-Nikkor 80mm or my Phago 50mm, maybe on Friday.

- It keeps the rendering characteristics in UV as well... I am quite excited about it :D

- the filter size is 67mm... just like the filterset I have! YAY! :D

I already have a 135mm Primotar and a 135mm CZJ Triotar coming from Ebay, so will do some unscientific testings with those lenses as well.

Camera: Sony NEX-6 Full Spectrum (Spectrosil 2000)

Filterstack: BG40+U360

And now for the images (keep in mind that the weather was overcast, and I had to race against rain :D)

post-61-0-75534600-1460383252.jpg

post-61-0-57963900-1460383262.jpg

And some non UV shots with the same lens on my Sony A7ii (which was the main purpose of buying this lens)

post-61-0-64263000-1460383325.jpg

post-61-0-29827000-1460383326.jpg

post-61-0-37462200-1460383327.jpg

I will try to make a little better testing when I have more time and better weather.

Timber, it is nice to see you posting again!!

Thank you for this Meyer-Görlitz Primotar 180/3.5 test.

I'm looking forward to more about these 135 lenses. I've gotten a couple myself and need to get around to some tests.

Wishing you sunnier weather.

Andrea, I had a long absence due to work and also end of may my family will expand with a little filgarian man (filipino-hungarian) so not sure how often I will have time to go anywhere further than the garden :)

I'm also thinking about making some kind of test chart with different wavelengths but not much I can spare on this hobby these days :) Well until then I'll stick to the not so scientific whitebalance measurements. :)

Yes, Primotar lenses are based on Tessar or reversed Tessar formula.

I once tested the infamous 100mm Trioplan (old "shiny" version) alongside other triplets in the same focal length and was not impressed with its UV performance. Other, slower triplets transmitted deeper into UV. I still have a later "black" Trioplan somewhere lying around.

I also tested CZJ Triotar 135 and again, was not impressed as I had better alternatives. And even though it is simple triplet, the glass type and/or coatings used by CZJ might have been of higher quality than the competition. For example, if CZJ used glass with higher refractive index, such glass often (but not always) has lower UV transmission.

so not sure how often I will have time to go anywhere further than the garden

Sometimes the best work is done right where you are. :D Congratulations on the future new person.

• 2 weeks later...
Alex, my original plan was to get a trioplan, but with recent prices... I'm buying a few Dia projector lenses now and one I have the time I will definitely try them for UV. As of now the primotar seems to be a good alternative and has some good uv capabilities.