UltravioletPhotography

Large format full spectrum camera

lost cat

The large sensel size should result in some impressive maximum speeds (ISO 1M+, anyone?) I think, however, that in an age when 24x36 sensors are pushing 40 Ms in some models, that such low resolution will not sell well in today's market unless they can sweeten the deal some other way such as a TTS sensor for extended dynamic range. This is, after all, seriously big and heavy equipment, and will probably cost as much as a medium-sized house. Today's photographers are no longer accustomed to lug around kit such as that. But what a toy it would be....

A niche market for sure. The low noise and lack of filters could make for some very fast UV only shutter times and or allow lower intensity illumination sources. And 6MP is enough for some folks.

Of course none of that matters if one can't get a UV compatible large format lens.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, folks. I've been away for months. (My winter work schedule was crazy-busy.) However, upon my return to this site, I immediately was compelled to go straight to this post, first, after browsing through the various posting headlines of the past several months while I was gone.

The reason for my enthusiasm, is because of the UV-research which I've mostly focused on this past winter: Finding good UV-viable large-format lenses ... something that would serve well to be listed in this particular thread, and beyond.

Alas, and to my surprise, I've discovered (after hundreds of dollars spent doing random lens-hunting acquisitions) that there are a handful of very nice large-format UV performers out there - some of which will not break the bank, I am happy to report.

I'll be making a post of these findings, very soon. (Within a few more weeks).

In fact, a few of my findings are wide-angle on large-format cameras (although they are not so wide on full-frame and crop-sensor formats, of course.)

Correction: Some of the lenses which I have discovered to be UV-capable can sufficiently cover a large-format sensor / film plane, while the majority of them were intended for medium-format coverage.

More details on my findings, eventually, however I should point out that it would be a huge leap for many UV/IR photographers to just move to a medium-format digital system, let alone an even more exotic large-format digital system. (I, myself, have yet to even convert a full-frame camera for UV/IR work; my Sony A3000 and Pentax K-01 APS-C systems being my most "advanced" full-spectrum cameras for the time being.)

In fact, inevitably, one will eventually be confronted with thee unavoidable question: At what point does one stop caring about how much larger their sensor could get (being a "sensor snob"), and instead start caring more about the actual fun of the image-taking process in itself? (Regardless of format.) Not to mention, there are obvious disadvantages to a significantly larger system, if one does a majority of their UV/IR shooting out in the field (in nature), compared to in-studio work. Just how practical is it to lug around a large-format set-up, when in the wild and for extended periods ... especially on longer-distance hikes and such?

I, for one, feel that there is a "diminishing level of return" ... when system size [and weight] begins to substantially outpace the convenience of portability and practicality. Isn't the majority of UV/IR work done in nature (in the wild), anyway?

(Add in the fact that HDR-enhancement technology has really been reaching a maturation period, in recent years, so that even in smaller-sensor systems, a wider dynamic range can be attained when implementing certain shooting techniques / functions ... sans the added bulk / weight of an otherwise clunky system).

Oh, yeah - lest I also forget the other thing: That little thing called CASH, you know. (Personally, I have no desire to take out a home-equity loan just to shoot UV/IR on a large-format digital system. But that's just me. :D)

Nonetheless ... I will soon publish my findings of UV-capable lenses that would cover a large-format and medium-format digital sensor. If, at least, a useful bit of information for the Lamborghini drivers among the UV/IR community (or, alternatively, those who are homeless because they traded in everything else they own, for the large-format digital system.)

Having done more than my share of large-format photography during the film epoch, I'm familiar of the fact that bigger size isn't a panacea to getting better results. As soon as you leave medium format and enter the view-camera scene, an endless sequence of limitations occur with just a few advantages to compensate.
  • 5 years later...

Looks like this is a reality now.

http://largesense.com/index.php/products/4x5-large-format-digital-back-ls45

The UV sensitivity only currently dips down to 320nm. However they may be working on a more sensitive camera.

If you where having a hard time deciding between buying a house or a camera, the 9x11 review looks promising

https://petapixel.com/2021/06/17/largesense-ls911-hands-on-the-first-digital-large-format-camera/

I've been chatting with guy over the last few years and giving advice on filters etc for the UV and IR work. Good to see it coming along and I wish him the best with the project - great to see someone taking on what is certainly not an easy task. If I won the lottery one would certainly be on my wish list.

I am surprised I can say this, but $26000 USD for a 4x5 inch digital back is actually quite cheap. This thing is huge and can record video. If he does get the liquid crystal shutter working for 1/500 vs the current 1/30 shutter, I can see him selling quite a lot to Hollywood.

The plans for a high resolution sensor also sound interesting.

I remember seriously considering paying near that for a Phase one back back in 2010.