UltravioletPhotography

Super Poena

Super Poena

Hi all

Thanks for the opportunity to join.

I am currently busy with a photography project on fruit and nut trees.

More specifically I am looking at pecan and was wondering if the pecans in the husk would be more visible using in the UV spectrum.

I then want to use this in combination with my drone, to take video's and stills from the air

Keep well

Gerhard

Hello Gerhard -- and welcome to UVP. I hope you enjoy the site and the various resources and posts we have here.

I don't know how pecans would look photographed in UV, so I will be very interested to see your results.

Drone work would be fairly easy in IR, but might be somewhat more difficult in UV because of the longer exposure times? And also because of the "fading" of UV at distances. So again I will be very eager to see some of your drone results in the non-Visible spectra. It sounds like fun as well as being technically interesting and challenging.

Welcome to our little corner of the cyberspace. Aerial UV has been discussed several times and using drones might be an approach than could be useful. Do keep us updated of any progress, or issues for that matter.
I know someone who used aerial UV-photography for his research in the past, but new regulations on drone use in his country make this type of work very hard for him. One way to shorten exposure times is to use monochrome-converted camera.
  • 3 weeks later...
Super Poena

Hi Everyone.

Thank you you for the warm welcome. I finally got my DJI Phantom 3 Professional drone on Friday and will be going out to the field to start doing some tests. I really look forward to this as apart from the challenge of the photography, I have the added challenge of not crashing the drone. :-) Lots of fun!!

I would like to experiment with both IR and UV. Any suggestions on what filters I can use. Probably need to look as a push over filter and not a screw in one, but might have to do my own modifications.

camera diameters are:

- exterior edge to edge: 31mm

- lens edges: 28mm

I am sooooo excited.