UltravioletPhotography

Zeiss ZF-IR lenses discontinued

Shane

If you were considering a Zeiss IR lens the opportunity has gone. I have just been informed by Zeiss that their ZF-IR infrared lens line has now been discontinued and it sounds as if old stock has been bought out by industrial dealers.
Third-party dealers still list them, but you would have to call to confirm availability and pricing. The three lenses in question are all IR versions of particular ZF lens designs that are being discontinued, 50/1.4 planar for instance. I guess we'll see in time if the new Milvus lenses are good in near IR.
  • 3 weeks later...
I never had the opportunity to use (or see) the Zeiss IR lens. Was it originally made to be an industrial lens, I wonder? Their little Zeiss UV-planar (which I have) was an industrial type - no helicoid.
It was not available to the consumer through normal camera sales channels but only authorized Zeiss industrial suppliers.They are designated an industrial lens but are fully functioning like their visible counterparts, 25/2.8, 50/1.4 and 85/1.4. Their only difference is the optical coatings, which are designed for IR wavelengths and not visible wavelengths, providing them with a higher IR transmission and better contrast.
A Stranger In The Wind

I am sad to hear this. I bought all three off of the bay several years ago prior to the seller increasing the prices. The difference in coatings I noted was when used for regular color photos there was a little extra red tinge in the images compared to the normal ZF's.

The 1st two shots taken with the ZF25-IR and the last with the ZF-50IR on a Canon 5D MKII modified for full spectrum and a B+W 093 filter.

http://www.robert-chisholm.com/Digital%20Infrared/album/slides/IMG_9286_z24_f8_jpg.jpg

http://www.robert-chisholm.com/Digital%20Infrared/album/slides/IMG_9266_z24_f8_jpg.jpg

http://www.robert-chisholm.com/Digital%20Infrared/album/slides/IMG_9280_z50_f8_jpg.jpg

I also have the 25 and 50mm versions that I shoot on 830nm conversion. However, I found in some circumstances the 25mm (at least) produced a blue hot spot when it was used for regular visible photography. A result of the coatings being optimized for IR rather than visible.
  • 3 weeks later...
I have just been informed by Zeiss that their ZF-IR infrared lens line has now been discontinued

Well maybe. I was speaking with a senior Zeiss representative over the weekend and now need to revise the statement.

"I have just been informed by Zeiss that their CURRENT ZF-IR infrared lens line has now been discontinued".

The 25, 50 and 85mm ZF-IR lenses were of course based on their "current" line of lenses. These are gradually being replaced with the "weather resistant" Milvus line. So yes, the current ZF-IR lenses are now discontinued but at this time the fate of a new line of IR lenses is undecided.

Interesting! Perhaps we can hope that a new Zeiss IR might be show up in the future lines?

Zeiss sure does make excellent lenses. I would like to have one someday, either visible or IR.

• 2 weeks later...
A Stranger In The Wind
I hope they decide to offer the IR's again. It would be nice to see a 35mm focal length IR offering.
  • 7 years later...

Thread resurrection.

Just managed to get a 50mm f1.4 ZF-IR, ex-demo. The dealer also had a 25mm one, which I was also after but it sold while I was chatting with him. Note to self - buy first, chat later.

20230315_124544small.jpg.decd6b9c8b2d0c1ee5f62f7d90496df7.jpg

20230315_124442.jpg.7702d806aaa185dc5c1c9e9cd8c4c51f.jpg

I saw those within minutes of being posted and was tempted to get another 25/2.8 ZF-IR as a backup but decided to let it go. I hope you are happy with the 50/1.4 ZF-IR, although it is semi-designed for IR by placing IR coatings on the optics, the optical design is the same as the non-IR version and it actually hotspots fairly easily. The 25/2.8 ZF-IR on the other hand is the best in that focal range that I have ever tested, high IR contrast and generally hotspot free unless you push it hard in difficult lighting conditions and push hard in post processing.

Cheers Col. Shane, I have yet to use it (it has been raining and cloudy here for a week now, and it's not been worth taking out). I am looking forward to trying it.

• 11 months later...
lukaszgryglicki

If you want to sell 50 ZF-IR LMK :)

1 hour ago, Andy Perrin said:

Nice new kit, JMC! Sorry about the one that got away!

Wasn't all bad in the end Andy. The seller did get a couple examples more a month or so later, and I managed to get one of those 😀

20230527_125954modvsmall.jpg.89d18627b7f33dc9d47a1a376de79efd.jpg