UltravioletPhotography

Edraianthus graminifolius [Grass-Leaved Rockbell]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2015. Edraianthus graminifolius (L.)A.DC. (Campanulaceae). Grass-Leaved Rockbell. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light.

http://www.ultraviol...eaved-rockbell/

Edraianthus graminifolius is a member of a small genus concentrated in its distribution to the mountains of the Balkan region of Europe. Some of these species, such E. pumilo or E. serpyllifolius, are occasionally cultivated for ornamental use in rock gardens.

I found these specimens in Durmitor National Park, Montenegro, in June 2014, growing at an altitude of 1770 m.a.sl. Initially I had great difficulties in identifying the plant, believing it belonged to the large Campanula genus. However, after consulting the comprehensive keys of 'Flora Europaea', its true affiliation became clear. The triangular-shaped supporting bracts discern it from the close ally E. tenuifolius.

EDRA_GRA_I1406200705_VIS.jpg

Image reference: EDRA_GRA_I1406200705_VIS

Visible light: Nikon Df, Voigtländer 125 mm f/2.5 APO-Lanthar lens, daylight.

The tufted growth and very narrow, grass-like ciliate leaves are differential features for this species.

EDRA_GRA_I1406201664_UV.jpg

Image reference; EDRA_GRA_I1406201664_UV

Ultraviolet light: Nikon D3200, Coastal Optics 60 mm f/4 APO lens, built-in Baader U2" ('Venus') filter, SB-140 flash.

The UV appearance follows closely what one would expect from a Campanula as the corolla is quite reflective, whilst the styles are dark. Black pollen grains can be seen inside the nearest flower as well.

The almost jet black UV rendition of the foliage suggests a strong absorption of UV rays. This is perhaps an adaptation to its alpine habitat.

[ Published 15 August 2015 ]