UltravioletPhotography

Bombus ternarius [Orange-belted Bumblebee]

Blum, A.G. (2015) Bombus ternarius Say (Apidae) Orange-belted Bumblebee. Bumblebee photographed in ultraviolet and visible light. http://www.ultraviol...lted-bumblebee/

Charlotte Rhoades Park & Butterfly Garden, Southwest Harbor, Maine, USA

04 August 2015

Wild Bumblebee

Synonyms:

• Three-coloured Bumblebee

Comment:

I'm fond of these small, busy little fellows who have two orange and one yellow abdominal band. The black, orange and yellow colours give rise to the designation ternarius for three. These bumblebees particularly love the Echinacea purpurea in Charlotte Rhoades garden, but were seen on every other flower there. The Wikipedia entry is very well referenced, so look there for more information.

In UV light the bees fur is UV-reflective.

Reference:

1. Wikipedia (07 Aug 2015) Bombus ternarius. Wikimedia Foundation, San Francisco, CA.

Equipment [Nikon D600-broadband + Nikon 105mm f/4.5 UV-Nikkor]

Visible Light [f/11 +.3EV for 1/500" @ ISO-400 in Sunlight with Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

This is a small crop from a large photo.

echinaceaPurpurea_visSun_20150804charlotteRhoadesSwhME_crop2.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/8 for 1/30" @ ISO-400 with SB-14 UV-modified Flash and Baader UV-Pass Filter]

This is a small crop from the next large photo.

echinaceaPurpurea_uvBaadSB14_20150804charlotteRhoadesSwhME_38121pnCrop2.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/8 for 1/30" @ ISO-400 with SB-14 UV-modified Flash and Baader UV-Pass Filter]

The photo from which the preceding crop was made.

echinaceaPurpurea_uvBaadSB14_20150804charlotteRhoadesSwhME_.jpg

Werner, I did not see any reaction by the bees.

I should perhaps make it clear that I do not repeatedly flash insects. This photo was made outdoors in good sunlight and the flash was used just for a bit of fill. I would say that I was holding it between 1-2 feet from the flowers when insects were present. I am always concerned that repeated flashes or very close flash might harm them.

1-2 feet = .3-.6 meters