UltravioletPhotography

Orangery, Wollaton Hall, Nottingham, UK

enricosavazzi

enricosavazzi

The orangery of Wollaton Hall near Nottingham, UK.

Curiously, the glass on the upper panels is UV-transparent, but all the lower panels are UV-opaque (and VIS-transparent). What you see are only reflections on the lower panels (except for the small triangular sections at the very top of the lower panels, which are evidently made of a different glass), while you can see the interior of the orangery through the upper panels.

Converted Olympus E-PM2, Sigma 19 mm f/2.8, Baader U.

post-60-0-09875200-1438937839.jpg

enricosavazzi

I wonder if then lower glass panels are laminated glass for public safety ?

Col

They might as well be, or the original glass of the lower panels was entirely replaced with some modern type. They did not bother with the small triangular pieces at the top, probably to save time and money.

The material of the UV-transparent glass of the top panels might be good enough to use as windows in our converted cameras. Apparently these 18th or 19th century glass makers may have used quartz sand or something similar.

Interesting about the two types of glass.

I wonder if orange trees need UV?

Of course, there may not be any orange trees actually still growing in the greenhouse?

What I learned about 40 years ago - we had a green house next door- is that there is special glas used for green houses, that is more UV transparent to provide plants with the more natural light.
A Stranger In The Wind
Very nice Enrico. You just gave me an idea to try next time I am at my zoo to see if the glass in the conservancy is UV opaque.
  • 4 weeks later...
Actually I had taken the picture to see, how the reflection of the sun on the glass looks. About in the center of the picture, the reflection was that high, that you could not see anything. You can still see some of the reflection on the frame/beams of the greenhouse holding the glass, but on the glass, the reflection of the visible light is almost gone (I assume on the glass was a somehow diffuse reflection while what you can still see is a kind of direct reflection). So the effect of the different types of glass came out during processing the picture at home.