UltravioletPhotography

Greetings from Calgary

A Stranger In The Wind

A Stranger In The Wind

I have had an interest in extreme photography for many years. My definition of extreme photography is anything not normal shooting such as Color IR, B&W IR, Digital IR, UV, Long exposures, full spectrum, light painting. Though I do a lot of normal photography.

Years ago I started shooting Kodak's Color Infrared Slide with a Canon F-1, I enjoyed it so much much when I took a course on Scenic and Wildlife I shot my entire final project with it.

Next I tried Kodak's Black and White IR film and later experimented with dr5 processes of shooting various B&W film that would be developed as a B&W slide using their suggested settings. For my Closeup and Macro course my final presentation once again was a slide presentation I had slides from Kodak and Fuji colour slide film as well as EIR Colour Infrared slide, Scala B&W slide, and Kodak HEI, Rollei IR-400, Kodak B&W and Ilford B&W that were developed as a slide via the dr5 process.

To this day the instructor of those courses and I remain in contact and when he introduces me to other instructors that I am about to take a course from he warns them I don't follow the norm.

Next I tried shooting UV with Kodak's HEI film regretfully that was the time when Kodak stopped making it. I then discovered Bjorn's site. I managed to get the 105mmUV lens and a Nikon to Canon FD adapter. I experimented with Tungsten slide film.

My first foray into Digital UV was with the Nikon D70s later replaced with the Fujifilm S3 UV-IR. I added the Nikon Series E 28,35,50,75-150 and 70-210 based on the comments on Bjorn's site. Of those only the 28 remains. I also added the Coastal Optics 60.

I became acquainted with Klaus and got my UG 11x from him to replace the Nikon UV filter. Now I use the current Baeder UV filter.

Complementing the Fujifiml S3 UV-IR are the Fujifilm IS-Pro, Fujifilm IS-1, Canon 5D MKII modified for IR (715) and a Canon 5D MKII modified for full spectrum. I also added the Rubika 35mm along with a bunch of filters that I obtained from Klaus in Spring 2014 but I was sidetracked from shooting as I decided to go for my Photography Certificate at our local technical school which is where I had taken the previous courses mentioned before. For me learning never stops.

Needless to say my assignments presented often included IR and UV shots.

My main interest has been scenics, thus when I ventured into IR and UV I wanted to see what I could accomplish in those spectrums.

My UV interests are scenics, old buildings, lowlight/nighttime/long exposure and light painting with a UV flashlight and hopefully someday try my luck at UV video. Ironically in my Nightime and Lowlight course I was shooting a piece of artwork and I discovered the artwork had been vandalized at onetime but since cleaned up. Looking at the work in the visible spectrum it looked normal but after doing some UV light painting it was clear where the art work had been marked up.

post-39-0-80874300-1437929179.jpg

I would also like to try my Leica Monochrom out to see if it can do UV. I have had limited success with IR but have not yet tried UV.

My IR interests is just about everything.

Welcome on board. Sorry about the registration e-mail glitch, but let's not dwell with that and instead look for future contributions and mutual insights.

Welcome to UVP, but you forgot to tell us your name !

We hope you enjoy the site. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your work.

A Stranger In The Wind

You are right Andrea. It is Robert.

No worries Bjorn about the glitch, as I mentioned I was preoccupied and as I tell many others "All things are as they should be" and at the time my destiny unbeknownst to me was headed in another direction. It's amazing how taking a bunch of courses opens the mind for new ideas and opportunities for UV and IR that would have been missed if there had not been a glitch. :)

Robert, it is nice to hear that you took the interesting paths which appeared before you!

We were very upset about our email failures. And happy to see that now it is all working out.

Hi Robert & welcome to UVP.

Your resume is very interesting indeed & I will be waiting to see some of your works.

Cheers

Col

Welcome Robert,

I was always a B&W print man taking landscapes but somewhere around 1989 being bored with what I was doing I started used Kodak B&W IR film and suddenly that was the only film I could get results with. I later found Konica IR in 120 rolls and enjoyed using that a lot. I had a Pentax K20D converted for IR a few years back and that's the camera I always pick up for landscapes, the results, which I always convert to B&W because that's the way IR landscapes should look to my eyes, are very similar to Konica - good clear textured highlights in foliage without the grain and halation of Kodak B%W IR film.

Then two years ago I discovered my local camera converter was offering full spectrum conversions and the rest is history. Australian native plants in UV is still a new field to pursue.

Cheers,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
A belated welcome, and it is good to have another on board with scenic/landscape interests. Seeing where you hail from makes me wonder what UV rodeo pictures might look like (assuming you can marshal fast enough kit to do it.)
A Stranger In The Wind

Thanks for the welcome Col,David and OlDoinyo. Never thought of trying UV rodeo pictures. That may be something to try next year.

A few more weeks then back to classes but much lighter load this year. Only 1 course Editing left in Video to get my Video certificate. Though they are planning on introducing a couple of new courses in Video and Audio likely in the winter session. Managed to complete my certificate in Audio in just 6 months Jan-June. I had to take 8 Audio courses to complete the certificate and luckily the schedule was favourable. I originally had no plans on an Audio certificate but there was 2 Audio courses I needed to take for the Video certificate, and given there was a break on video courses and good audio is important for video I decided to follow my personal interests in audio and ended up taking 8 audio, 1 video and 1 photography course this past semester. The Audio courses went further than just recording as I also took courses on Arranging, Mixing and mastering music, the business of audio and building a home studio.

I also plan on taking the Advanced Portaiture class this fall in Photography. Winter could be busy if the new courses in Audio and Video are introduced. The one fun thing is photography, video and audio are somewhat closely related and often go hand in hand. The nice thing of my educational push the past year is I will be able to make videos with my dslrs in both still and streaming video and hopefully in color, B&W, IR and UV, then add my own musical creations thus no need to worry about copyright issues.

For now my UV work is focused in B&W, in time I hope to move further and explore the color methods people use here.