UltravioletPhotography

[BEE]: More on bee vision

Nice find, Reed. Thanks!!

Some good-looking UV photos by these scientists. And our member Enrico's book is referenced.

It is an interesting article.

But no mentioning of what illumination was used to obtain the UV images ... Given that an AFS Micro-Nikkor 60 mm f/2.8 was employed on a stock D70, they surely needed a strong UV source to get anything recorded at all.
Standard scientific practice is describing methods with sufficient detail so results can be verified by others.

I think we have seen some of this groups work before.

This open source journal is indexed in PubMed and full text is also availabe in PubMedCentral.

I noticed that on the Biology Open version initially linked there is a link for Responses. Clicking on that opens a menu option to submit an eLetter, which is essentially an open forum letter to the editor. I have have inquired if there is a fee for submitting an eLetter. If not this is a good opportunity to instruct some of these researchers in at least the basics of modern digital reflected UV photography.

BiO instructions for authors say the reference format is the same as J Cell Science, but I do not find a format for citing an online source, so citing an UltravioletPhotography.com formal botanical posting may need to follow some generic format and let the editors correct it post submission.

The Senior Editorial Administrator of Biology Open confirmed that eLetters do not incur a publication fee.