UltravioletPhotography

D800 unfiltred

ecliptique

Hello

I've just receive my D800 broadband. I replace it with a new D810 for classical photography.

I'ts appear that result is very very good ! Better than D3 of course !!

I'll test it for IR asap but you can see here my vert fist UV tests : EL NIKKOR 105mm + UVIR cut and U Baader filters + SB25 flashes.

And two unidentified flowers from my garden.

No IR contamination inside camera. I've tested that in my cellar. ISO 1600 and 30 sec -> a black picture.

But it's important to add some black towel if you use a bellows like Cambo Actus or Nikon PB5/6...

post-73-0-64409800-1436113523.jpg

post-73-0-00821100-1436113533.jpg

post-73-0-42866800-1436113996.jpg

Laurent, this is great news about the D800. Thank you so much for letting us know.

Based on my use of the D600 as a workhorse UV/IR cam, I was fairly sure that the D800 would also do well for UV. But having confirmation of that is important.

One useful hint, perhaps -- set D800 in-camera ADL to Low and you get between 1/3-1/2 boost in dynamic range with no hit on exposure values. It isnt much, but it is "free". Dynamic range is nice for UV work. I occasionally will set in-camera ADL higher, but then one of the Nikon converter apps is needed. (Most people do not like using them.)

I note from use of a D810 for Visible photography that these cameras have an excellent capability for recovering highlights (....lots of "headroom", as is said...) and do have fairly good capability to open up shadows without too much noise.

Looking forward to seeing some work from you posted on UVP. And, if you are so inclined, please consider making the occasional formal botanical post in our Ultraviolet Botanicals or Cultivars sections. (We are happy to help out on those non-art type posts.)

This is very interesting news. I have a D800 sitting that does not see much use anymore.... Where was the camera converted?

The first flower might be a Senecio, the last one perhaps a Crepis. I need to see entire plant incl. foliage.

ecliptique

Bjorn - > Nikon France have converted my D800 but it's not a standard prestation and you need to have some introduction for that. But I suppose that you are a Nikon VIP too ?

Andrea -> D810 and D800 are very very different! It's for this reason that I bought a second D810 to replace my D800. D810 have a better dynamic range, less noise, new shutter (with electronic option), better AF system, etc... I use them for panoramic photography, studio, architecture and during classical concerts because AF run perfectly in the dark ans shutter is very discret in Q mode. Best results with Nikkor 200mm f/2.

All of theres cameras are very exigeant about focus precision, need very good lenses and don't like any vibration ! Don't forget that if you want not to be disappointed.

About my flowers pictures, if you want to class them in botanic posts, do it, no problem.

A UV-Nikkor 105, or a Coastal 60 APO should have no trouble interfacing with a 36 MPix camera ....

If Nikon France did the conversion, what was placed in front of the sensor?

Laurent, I've been shooting a D810 for Visible work this year. I like it well enough but am thinking about converting it to a UV/IR camera. I used Bjorn's D800 in Norway and so I am aware that the newer D810 is slightly better at everything. :)
ecliptique

A UV-Nikkor 105, or a Coastal 60 APO should have no trouble interfacing with a 36 MPix camera ....

I suppose but I never use any of these lenses...

If Nikon France did the conversion, what was placed in front of the sensor?

Nothing. I want to use this camera for IR an UV. But if you know an good european workshop, I want to install a 720nm Hi pass filter into my D3...

Hm. A naked sensor is problematic for several reasons. Firstly, it is difficult to clean and can easily be damaged. Secondly, you get a severe focus shift. Thirdly, some lens might not perform at their best without a plane filter in front of the lens as this is part of their optical design (Costal 60 is an example).

But not to forget - if Live View is used, then focusing can be easily done with sufficient UV illumination. So the primary worry is that the fused glass over the sensor pack may get damaged.

I used my D300 with no protective cover for years and all was well. I took quite some care with it when cleaning. I don't recommend going coverless however. New sensor packs are expensive.

Members -- what type of glass can we recommend to Laurent as a possible sensor cover?

Laurent, measure the thickness of the removed filters. Then obtain a piece of glass (after we get some feedback on what type) and have it cut to fit the D800 sensor. As an NSP member, your Nikon technicians can install it for you. It is OK to tape the edges of the glass to keep it on the sensor pack. Or the glass cover may fit under the old filter frame if it is still in the camera. The key point is to install the glass without any dust getting trapped under the cover.

Also, let me check our camera converters here in the US. Laurent may be able to order a sensor cover from the US. I'll get back with some links.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all.

sorry for the delay but i have a lot of work.

I've tested with many lenses my D800 and it work perfect with naked sensor ! AF is working perfect when I use AF lenses for IR pictures.

Nikon France give me for few weeks a sample of D810 also with naked sensor and I've any problem. I'll test some pictures (UV and IR) with D800 and D810 to know if there is some rendering difference.

post-73-0-31080200-1438803989.jpg

post-73-0-97908600-1438804002.jpg

Some IR samples with D810 and 17-35mm or 80-400mm + Hoya. Theses two pictures was taken with AF sensor and not in live view mode.

post-73-0-85444700-1438804461.jpg

post-73-0-29967000-1438804482.jpg

Merci !! I am so happy to see that the D810 does well for UV and for IR.

I like the two IR fotos. The first one has a nice long view with interesting patterns.

And the "X" in the 2nd foto is also cool. "-)