UltravioletPhotography

UV Daisy (Bellis perennis) with the 7.5 mm Fisheye-Nikkor

En route to the Slovenian Alps at present, with a pit stop here in Copenhagen to team up with Erik Lund. He removed a lot of internal debris that had accumulated inside my old-timer 7.5 mm f/5.6 Fisheye-Nikkor. To allow a little more UV to pass through the optics, one of the slots for the built-in filter wheel was emptied of its glass as well.

This lens, harking back to the mid '60s, is not a retro-focus design and thus extends almost to the film plane. It was used with a raised mirror in the old days of course. Modern Nikons are claimed by Nikon themselves to be incompatible with these old lenses, but this is advice easily overlooked if you wish to deploy your fisheye lens on the latest models.

I brought the lens firstly to have it maintained by Erik, secondly to use for some less textbook-like UV shots with my modified Nikon D3200 (the one having an internal Baader U2" filter). The 7.5 mm does not go deep into UV at all, but nevertheless much fun can be had with it.

Here are a collection of Daisies (Bellis perennis) in Erik's back yard. To enhance the alienness of the image even further, I have changed projection from fisheye to rectilinear geometry. You lose a lot of detail this way but perhaps there are other gains to be had.

Nikon D3200 with internal Baader U2" filtrer, Fisheye-nikkor 7.5 m mf/5.6 at f/18, 20 sec., ISO 400, hand held (!)

UV_Fisheye7,5_E1506032354.jpg

20 sec! I do not think I can do 2 sec. Did you glue your hands to something? just kidding...very nice shot.
I like the picture. It almost looks like the photographer is getting sucked-in into the scene. Be careful next time, Bjørn.

I have a yen to also see the fish version. :(

Do we know how the Nik 16/3.5 fish does for UV? I've made some wonderful unfiltered shots with it on a converted camera. Those would have been predominantly IR, of course.

I have brought the 16/3.5 Fisheye-Nikkor with me to Slovenia so might give it a try in V. It does far better than the 16/2.8 AIS for UV, although as expected, won't venture deep into the UV band.
I wonder if there is any noticeable effect from filter being removed on the optical properties of this 7.5 fisheye. Are the filters located in-between other optical elements? I could not find an optical scheme of this lens.

There is a change in focus most detectable. The 7.5 mm is a fix-focus lens and normally has its main focus around 1 m. Without the filter, focus moves much closer which is great for UV usage anyway.

The filter wheel sits immediately before the aperture which itself is followed by a sequence of small optical groups to the rear of the lens. I removed the L1A filter from its slot (to make a "UV option"), and replaced the O-56 with the L1A so there is a "visible option" on the filter wheel. Erik dremelled away the factory labels of the two slots and painted each to mark their new functions.