UltravioletPhotography

Correa pulchella [Salmon Correa]

DaveO

Oldfield, D. 2015. Correa pulchella J.B. Mackay ex Sweet (Rutaceae) Salmon Correa. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...rrea-pulchella/

Synonyms

Correa neglecta Ashby

Correa rubra var. pulchella (J. Makay ex Sweet) J.M. Black

Correa reflexa var. pulchella (J. Mackay ex Sweet) Court

Maldon, Victoria, Australia

15 May 2015

Australian Native Wildflower as Garden Specimen

Comment

Correa pulchella is endemic to South Australia and occurs along the coastlines of Eyre, Yorke and Fleurieu peninsulas and on Kangaroo Island. It is very variable in shrub size and habit, leaf size and flower colour. It hybridises in the wild and readily in gardens and has been introduced as many commercial cultivars under a range of names.

Visible Light: Nikon D750 Full Spectrum Modification, Nikon Rayfact PF10545 MF-UV 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Metz 15 MS-1 flash, 1/200 s @ f/16 ISO 200, Baader UV/IR Cut Filter.

post-28-0-28057800-1433136672.jpg

Image Reference: DO60292

Ultraviolet Light: Nikon D750 Full Spectrum Modification, Nikon Rayfact PF10545 MF-UV 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Nissin Di866 Mark II flash, 1/200s @ f/16 ISO 200, Baader UV-Pass Filter.

post-28-0-74623900-1433136691.jpg

Image Reference: DO60295

Ultraviolet Induced Visible Fluorescence: Nikon D750 Full Spectrum Modification, Nikon Rayfact PF10545 MF-UV 105 mm f/4.5 lens with Baader UV/IR Cut Filter, Nichia NCSU033A UV-LED with Baader UV-Pass Filter, 30.0 s @ f/11 ISO 200.

post-28-0-16337800-1433136706.jpg

Image Reference: DO60298

References:

Elliott, W.R. and Jones, D.L. Encyclopaedia of Australian Plants suitable for cultivation, Volume 3, 1984, Lothian, p. 94.

Hitchcock, M. Correas – Australian Plants for Waterwise Gardens, 2010, Rosenberg, p. 127.

Published 1 June 2015

Very good Dave

I see a new camera is being used by you ;)

With the visible light shot using the Baader UV / IR cut filter, are you able to use the preset WB's or do you need to do a CWB please ?

Cheers

Col

Col,

This is my first ever full frame (FX) DSLR, and it has a tilt screen which lets me take low level macro shots without a crick in my ancient neck and the sensor has better dynamic range than any APS-C sensor.

I have set up a Custom Light Profile in Photoninja using the Colorchecker Passport with the Baader UV/IR cut filter on the camera lens and the Metz flash as illumination in the darkroom where all these shots involving UVIVFL are taken. So, I use that Profile for both the visible and UVIVFL shots when I open the NEF RAW file in PN. I did exactly the same for my earlier Pentax K-5 shots. The UV shot uses a PN profile made with a Spectralon target using the Nissin flash.

Cheers,

Dave

Congratulation Dave on the new baby ;)

Sounds like you have gone up in leaps & bounds, good on ya ;)

Col

You get fewer blown highlights and better shadows with these good Sony sensors. And it is typically easier to recover blown highlights (if not from glare) with such good sensors having more "headroom". Typically you will also find less noise in shadows (assuming otherwise good exposure) and more liftable shadows. I certainly see all this with cameras like the D600 and D810. And the improved high ISO capability certainly makes life easier in the UV arena. My D600 shots are scads better than my old D200/300/700 UV work.

A nice trick of the Nikon line is the in-camera Active D-Lighting. Setting it to Low automatically gives you 1/3 stop more dynamic range with no hit on exposure. Setting it higher changes the exposure slightly but serves to improve dark areas by some "secret" in-camera algorithm. I have found this useful in UV work so that a bit more detail shows in dark areas. However (a big HOWEVER, in this case) to preserve in-camera ADL settings you must unfortunately convert your raw fotos in some Nikon converter - View NX2 being probably the quickest way to do that (and it is free).

The Pentax K5 is no slouch, though. I do like that camera. It produces a very nice "look" to its fotos even if some squidge under the newer Nikons for highlights & high ISO features. But the K5 had a kind of Live View which was more difficult to focus than the D600/810 Live Views. Especially when trying to focus in UV under a torch. Hands down, the D600 is easier to focus with its Live View. I hope that is true for your D750, Dave.

In reduced fotos as seen online, the differences between all these cameras may not be as obvious. I can see it in a lot of our photos posted here, but certainly not all of them.

Dave, I think you can bump up your saturation just a little bit on the Visible and Fluorescent fotos??

Try moving up from 50 to 60 or so??

Color Enhancement > Plain > Intensity > 60

I'm only looking at one example of your new work, so I could be wrong about the saturation!!

Read the review of the D750 on dpreview.com to see the dynamic range which seems to have been tweaked over that from the D600 and D610 even thought the sensor is probably the same. The magnification in live view now works like it should, with more detail being revealed with each press of the + button, not just blurry enlargement of the same few pixels, so critical focusing is easy. I'll have a look at the saturation, maybe it's just my red/green deficient eyes which are the problem - looks OK on my screen but perhaps it loses something going from Adobe RGB to sRGB for the jpegs and going from my profiled screen via the web to yours.

Dave

Good to know about the D750 improvements. Looks like it will make you a terrifically good UV-camera.

(Let that saturation comment go. It was minor, not important.)