UltravioletPhotography

Oxalis stricta [Yellow Wood Sorrel]: Another Example

Andrea B.

Blum, A.G. (2015) Another Example of Oxalis stricta L. (Oxalidaceae) Yellow Wood Sorrel. Flowers photographed in ultraviolet and visible light. https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/1381-oxalis-stricta-yellow-wood-sorrel-another-example/

Middletown, New Jersey, USA

14 May 2014

Wildflower

Synonyms:

• Sourgrass
  • Sour Pickle
  • Common Yellow Oxalis
  • Oxalis europaea Jord.
  • Oxalis fontana Bunge

Comment:

Rørslett (2015) first showed a Norwegian Oxalis stricta in ultraviolet(1). Here is a US example which also exhibits a similar false-yellow with darker striping in UV.

The seedpods of O. stricta are explosively dehiscent and can cause quite a commotion if too many plants are left unweeded in the home garden.

Reference:

1. Rørslett, B. (2015) Oxalis stricta L. (Oxalidaceae) Yellow Wood Sorrel. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. LINK

Equipment [Nikon D600-broadband + Carl Zeiss 60mm f/4.0 UV-Planar]

Visible Light [f/4 for 1/1000" @ ISO-400 in Sunlight with Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

oxalisStrictaVisSun_051413wf_11429origpn01.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/4 for 1/200" @ ISO-400 with SB-14 UV-modified Flash and Baader UV-Pass Filter]

oxalisStrictaUVBaadSB14_051413wf_11451pf.jpg

what is the size of this flower? I have shot a tiny one here, growing wild on my lawn, with the same UV signatures. they are tiny, about 3mm across.

Bjorn,

Thanks. so what I have here must be a different species.

The O. stricta I'm familiar with has flowers several times larger.