UltravioletPhotography

Hesperis under UV, of 2 different color morphos

It is easily confused with Lunaria of the same family (Brassicaceae) but I think this is a Hesperis based on their seeds. Lunari has seed pods like a silver dollar, hence the common name "silver dollar".

this was shot last year with DMC-G5 (full spectrum).

Vis:

http://ww2.beetography.com/var/resizes/UV/P1090784_v1.jpg?m=1432224152

Under UV, the white morpho is also lighter.

http://ww2.beetography.com/var/resizes/UV/P1090785_v1.jpg?m=1432224154

The differences shown here are quite similar to Andrea's finding on Hesperis:

http://www.ultraviol...__fromsearch__1

Excellent find, Zach.

Lunaria, I think you meant to spell.

Now I'm worried my Hesperis is really a Lunaria !!! ;) :lol: :D

I've made a note to review my ID.

Brief ID review --

Hesperis: cylindrical seedpods, narrow leaves

Lunaria: silver dollar seedpods, heart-shaped leaves

I have taken the liberty of changing the name from Linaria to Lunaria. Toadflax Linaria is an entirely different plant belonging to the Plantaginaceae.

Thanks. I did not realize it. I know Linaria also, a funny name called "butter and eggs". I have a nice shot with bees on it.

I have taken the liberty of changing the name from Linaria to Lunaria. Toadflax Linaria is an entirely different plant belonging to the Plantaginaceae.

Could be! The flowers are almost identical!

Excellent find, Zach.

Lunaria, I think you meant to spell.

Now I'm worried my Hesperis is really a Lunaria !!! ;) :lol: :D

I've made a note to review my ID.

Brief ID review --

Hesperis: cylindrical seedpods, narrow leaves

Lunaria: silver dollar seedpods, heart-shaped leaves

So many of the different Brassicaceae have similar flowers. It can be tough.

Mine are indeed Hesperis. On Mount Desert Island where I found it, there is no Lunaria. And the leaves of my plant were lanceolate, not cordate. But it never hurts to recheck an ID. ;)

Andrea,

my bad! now I think I have Hesperis! :( :) I went back to the same spot as last year (need to check last year's photo date) and their leaves are narrow. how can your green always looked nicer than mine? saturation higher? different camera?

oh no! :( Don't feel bad, Zach. ID-ing flowers is a never ending process. It is OK to edit and correct missed IDs. We've all had to do it.

I do shoot visible work under the Baader UVIR-Cut filter using an in-camera white balance setting. But after opening the photo in Photo Ninja, I apply a colour chart profile because for a converted camera white balance alone is sometimes not quite enough.

For saturation, sometimes I use the Color Enhancement set to "Neutral" and sometimes I use the "Scenic". Which one is used depends on the colours in the photo. Usually reds/oranges/yellows look better with Neutral.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! can you give me a link to detailed steps for creating a profile in PN? You did this a while ago and I do not remember where.

thanks.

Zach

oh no! :D Don't feel bad, Zach. ID-ing flowers is a never ending process. It is OK to edit and correct missed IDs. We've all had to do it.

I do shoot visible work under the Baader UVIR-Cut filter using an in-camera white balance setting. But after opening the photo in Photo Ninja, I apply a colour chart profile because for a converted camera white balance alone is sometimes not quite enough.

For saturation, sometimes I use the Color Enhancement set to "Neutral" and sometimes I use the "Scenic". Which one is used depends on the colours in the photo. Usually reds/oranges/yellows look better with Neutral.

oh yes. Good idea. I'll pin it.

I hope it is all up-to-date and useful. I'll try to give it a quick look this evening.

Thanks. I think I can do it. My Nex7 always gave me a color temp of 3500 (for UV whitebalance in custom), so that is basically correct? it always does that with an error message though.

I'm not sure what you are telling me? Are you saying that when you do an in-camera white balance, the Nex7 reports the Temperature? I've never seen that before!!

In Photo Ninja, the Temperature can be measured by placing the dropper over a white portion of the photo. That is what PN wants you to report when creating a Profile.

Yes, Nex7 does give me a number after trying to set it and it is usually around 3450 to 3550 for UV. Still I am having trouble with it to do WB on the Bug GREEN. still do not know if it is the filter or the camera. I used autowb yesterday and see some green using in the center, but when I used PN to WB against a teflon, the flower became totally yellowish, with the center green gone.

I very much miss the 2 custom WB of G5, might try GH3 for the next camera, which has 4 different custom WB?

I'm not sure what you are telling me? Are you saying that when you do an in-camera white balance, the Nex7 reports the Temperature? I've never seen that before!!

In Photo Ninja, the Temperature can be measured by placing the dropper over a white portion of the photo. That is what PN wants you to report when creating a Profile.

Remember that sometimes these colours we like to see are not automatically produced by white balance alone. In such cases, additional colour editing tools must be used to turn the colours in the direction we wish them to go. What tool is used for that depends on what editor is being used, so it is difficult to make any actual recommendations.

If you put the file into Dropbox for me, then I'll take a look in Raw Digger. That sometimes helps determine whether a particular false colour can be drawn out. And I will also try a colour adjustment in some of my editing apps.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I did not shoot raw with G5, only initially. Now I know PN automatically try to adjust the next raw file if I had adjusted one for exposure. I did not understand and then switched to jpeg :( :(

let me know if your raw digger can see data in jpeg or not.

Zach

Remember that sometimes these colours we like to see are not automatically produced by white balance alone. In such cases, additional colour editing tools must be used to turn the colours in the direction we wish them to go. What tool is used for that depends on what editor is being used, so it is difficult to make any actual recommendations.

If you put the file into Dropbox for me, then I'll take a look in Raw Digger. That sometimes helps determine whether a particular false colour can be drawn out. And I will also try a colour adjustment in some of my editing apps.

I managed to find a last one of these...and used raw. I think now my UV-blue is close to yours (green and cyan both -20 in color enhancement).

http://ww2.beetography.com/var/resizes/UV/DSC01469_v1.jpg?m=1435242078

That looks good Zach.

We are not rigid about the exact shade of blue. Don't worry about it too much.

The blues can vary sometimes towards the violet-blue direction.

It seems that I rarely see the blue moving towards the cyan.