UltravioletPhotography

BUG Impression of Creeping Navelwort Omphalodes verna

As mentioned in this thread on Marsh Marigold (Caltha palustris) http://www.ultraviol...marsh-marigold/, I intend to test drive some other subjects with the BUG (Blue-Ultraviolet-Green) filter.

Towards this end, I collected a few rain-wet specimens of Creeping Navelwort or Blue-eyed Mary (Omphalodes verna) in my neighbourhood. This species is not native to Norway, but migrate easily out of gardens to become permanently established in open floors of lush deciduous forest.

I did a series of the specimens with my broad-band Nikon D600 and the UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens. Illumination was provided by Broncolor studio flashes with uncoated xenon tube.

The visible appearance, done with a custom profile in Photo Ninja and the Baader UV/IR Cut filter,

OMPH_VER_T1505166564_VIS.jpg

The corolla of O. verna is known to be strongly UV reflective. Here captured with the Baader U2" ("Venus") filter.

OMPH_VER_T1505166575_UV.jpg

The BUG filter capture shows a preponderance of cyan and blue hues,

OMPH_VER_T1505166572_UVBUG.jpg

Unlike the case of the Caltha palustris, darkening the greens did not make much of a difference in the visual outcome. However, shifting the hue of cyans did produce a pleasing effect,

OMPH_VER_C6572_UVBUG_Cyan_Enh.jpg

Very interesting. I do like the b.u.g. false colour possibilities.
Agree. I might include a BUG capture as a routine when I do any kind of UV shooting from now on. The only caveat is the filter needs to be attached to the front of a lens and that limits the lens choices. Plus, I cannot use those cameras that already have UV bandpass filtration on their inside. Thus my travel UV camera Nikon D3200 (internal Baader U2") is off bounds whilst the broad-band D600 works just fine. The spare broad-band D40X, D200, and my GH-2s will do service as well.