UltravioletPhotography

Taraxacum Sect. Spectabilia [Atlantic Dandelion]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2013. Taraxacum Sect. Spectabilia (Asteraceae). Atlantic Dandelions. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...ct-spectabilia/

Taraxacum Wigg Sect. Spectabilia (Dahlst.)Dahlst.

NO: Atlanterhavsløvetann(er)

SE: Atlantmaskrosor

DK: Nordisk Mælkebøtte

This group of Taraxacum microspecies are mainly found on slightly damp or humid open grasslands in coastal or mountain areas of Norhern Europe and the British Isles. They are native to the region and do not occur as weeds. Especially in the mountains they flower quite late, often in mid July to beginning of August.

Specimens photographed at Sognefjellet, Western Norway, 9 July, 2012. Habitat damp grassland with interspersed alpine willows and dwarf birch, elevation 1000 m asl.

TARA_SECT_SPE_B1207092624_VIS.jpg

Image reference:TARA_SECT_SPE_B1207092624_VIS.jpg

Visible light: Nikon D300, 120 mm f/4 Medical-Nikkor, built-in flash.

TARA_SECT_SPE_I1207090010_UV.jpg

Image reference: TARA_SECT_SPE_I1207090010_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light: Panasonic GH-2, Coastal Optics 60 mm f/4 APO lens, Baader U 2" ('Venus') filter, SB-140 flash.

There is clearly a huge variation in this genus as far as the appearance of the flower head (capitulum) in UV is concerned. I strongly suspect this is caused by indisciminately photographing different microspecies or sections. Perhaps when material of dandelions from the various sections in this complicated and taxonomically confused genus can be acquired and published, more clear trends in their UV patterns are manifested. At this site, only specimens of dandelions for which sectional relationship has been determined will be shown.

TARA_SECT_SPE_I1207090022_UV.jpg

Image reference:TARA_SECT_SPE_I1207090022_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light: Panasonic GH-2, Coastal Optics 60 mm f/4 APO lens, Baader U 2" ('Venus') filter, SB-140 flash.

This microspecies, not yet identified but clearly belonging to the section Spectabilia, has bright UV-reflective outer ligules, whilst within the very centre of the capitulum the ligules are UV dark. The exserted styles are very UV-dark as well. No pollen was seen so its UV-behaviour is unknown. The ligules on their rear side are dark red-brownish striped. These stripes, the adpressed bracts (phyllaries), the hairy scapes, and the foliage, all are rendered very dark in UV.

[Published 21 Mar 2013]