UltravioletPhotography

Anemone blanda [Windflower]

Andrea B.

Blum, A.G. (2015) Anemone blanda Schott & Kotschy[1] (Ranunculaceae) Windflower. Flowers photographed in ultraviolet and visible light. http://www.ultraviol...nda-windflower/

Synonyms:

• Grecian Windflower

Comment:

The light coloured Windflowers become UV-dark while the darker blue Windflowers become UV-light. This is a very interesting tone reversal.

Reference:

1. Missouri Botanical Garden (2015) Anemone blanda. http://www.missourib...e=1&gen=Anemone

SET 1

Deep Cut Gardens, Middletown, New Jersey, USA

18 April 2009

Wildflower in botanical garden

Equipment [Nikon D200-broadband + Novoflex 35mm f/3.5 Noflexar]

Visible Light [f/8 for 1/1000" @ ISO-400 in Sunlight with Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

anemoneBlandaVis041809dc_27933origpn01.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/8 for 1" @ ISO-400 in Sunlight with Baader UV-Pass Filter]

anemoneBlandaUV041809dc_27937pf.jpg

Visible Light [f/8 for 1/350" @ ISO-400 in Sunlight with Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

anemoneBlandaVis041809dc_27945origpn.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/8 for 2" @ ISO-400 in Sunlight with Baader UV-Pass Filter]

anemoneBlandaUV041809dc_27948pf.jpg

SET 2

8 April 2013

Equipment [Nikon D600-broadband + Nikon 105mm f/4.5 UV-Nikkor]

Visible Light [f/16 for 1/200" @ ISO-100 with onboard Flash and Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

anemoneBlandaVisFlash_040813deepCutParkMtownNJ_6251origpn.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/8 for 1/25 @ ISO-400 with SB-14 UV-modified Flash and Baader UV-Pass Filter]

This is a stack of two images for better depth-of-field.

anemoneBlandaUVBaadSB14_040813deepCutParkMtownNJ_6271COMPOSITEproof.jpg

SET 3

02 April 2010

Equipment [Nikon D200-broadband + Novoflex 35mm f/3.5 Noflexar]

Visible Light [f/8 for 1/500" @ ISO-640 in Sunlight with Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

anemoneBlandaVis040210deepCutMt_35855origpnpfpn.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/8 for 1.5" @ ISO-400 in Sunlight with Baader UV-Pass Filter]

anemoneBlandaUV040210deepCutMt_35874pf.jpg

Infrared Light [f/8 for 1/180" @ ISO-400 in Sunlight with B+W 092 IR-Pass Filter]

anemoneBlanda092IR040210deepCutMt_35880pf.jpg

these were blooming yesterday and i saw (and shot) many honey bees on them. but my modified Nex-7 came yesterday but still waiting for filters.
A NEX-7 sounds great, Zach. Can't wait to see some posts with it!!

Andrea,

thank you. do you know if the UV and Vis would compensate one another in your two color morphs? i.e. they might appear the same with insect vision? since one is darker in UV and another one is darker in Vis....interesting.

Zach

Zach, I only know what I've read in the same papers you have access to. So it is difficult to say for sure how a bee or other insect would see these anemones.

Here's my best guess.

The white flower in the 2nd set is probably close to +R+G+B in visible light. Given that it is moderately UV-absorbing (or moderately UV-reflecting, take your pick), the bee would probably have its G and B receptors almost equally stimulated and maybe its UV receptor partially stimulated. So bee would see something like +G+B+uv. That would be some variety of the colour between Cyan and UV-Cyan in bee world.

The blue flower in the 2nd set is probably something like +r+g+B, that is mostly blue, with lesser amounts of red and green. It is not nearly as dark as the other flower in UV, so I'm thinking that the bee would be seeing +g+B+UV. This would be closer to the bee UV-Blue than it would to the bee's Cyan or UV-Cyan.

So my guess is that the bee does not see quite the same bee colours with these anemone variants.

What do you think?? :)

Edited for clarity. (I hope.)

i will just try my BG5 + S8612 (when the equivalent of the later arrives), to see if they are similar or not...thinking like a bee will hurt my beebrain :) :)

I hear ya!

Looking forward to your experiments with new filters.

I played with s8612 +UG11, and UG5 last year, but I guess I never posted any photos here with UG5. I have to rebuy all filters again since my G5 is gone.
My photos from yesterday, the white ones (not pinkish like yours, Andrea), has some bluish tint but not as blue as yours under UV. I do not know if I should post elsewhere since this is a formal post.

Zach, you can post your Anemone fotos in the UV Informal.

Or, in the Tech & Tests area if you want to discuss the filtration.

Or, you can make a formal post of your Anemone work with a title like Anemone blanda [Windflower]: Another Example - or some similar title. The details for such a post are found in the guidelines: Publishing Guidelines: Multiple Posts of the Same Subject

The A. blanda I have photographed are strong violet-blue, white and also pale tinted colours like a very pale blue and a very pale violet-pink. I haven't seen any of the strong pink or magenta varieties. Given my results so far, I wouldn't be surprised if we continued to see a range of UV false blues from these pretty and interesting flowers.

We know that multiple factors affect false colours, so there is also that to consider. Generally speaking, UV-signature results are similar across different platforms under the same filtration, but not always identical of course.