UltravioletPhotography

Hello

renaud

Apologies for the very unoriginal title, it's the best I could find. I have been photographing in UV for a few years, although visible light still has most of my attention.

I got interested in UV photography while watching a documentary (it might have been "the life of birds"), which stated that male and female blue tits look different in UV light, with images of a bird displaying a spectacularly bright head crest. I now think that the images were doctored for illustration purposes, but at the time I set out to photograph birds in UV. I gathered all the information I could find on the web - most of it from Bjørn Rørslett, to whom I'm deeply indebted - and quickly understood that this was not to be.

I began photographing flowers instead, but the idea of UV action shots hasn't left me, so from time to time I'm pointing my camera at insects and spiders. The picture of the hoverfly below is the best flight shot I could get so far. I'll get the whole abdomen next time.

post-9-0-57167000-1425050217.jpg

I registered on this site when it was first announced, but forgot about it afterwards. I used to get my dose of UV information from the Nikongear/Fotozones community, but it has been very quiet in recent times. The search for a replacement led to my rediscovery of UVP, which brings us to today and the end of my short introduction.

Thank you for your attention.

Welcome to UltravioletPhotography.com, Renaud. I hope you enjoy the website. We are looking forward to your contributions!

Hi Renaud,

Welcome. In my wildest dreams I think about trying to take UV images of birds, then I remember I can't even take decent bird shots in visible light. I'm told some of our Blue Wrens do interesting things in UV.

Cheers,

Dave