UltravioletPhotography

Viola tricolor [Night and Day]

Andrea B.

Blum, A.G. (2015) Viola tricolor L. (Violaceae) Night and Day. Flowers photographed in ultraviolet, visible and infrared light. http://www.ultraviol...-night-and-day/

Found in the parking area near Heddal Stavkirke.

14 May 2014

Wildflower

Synonyms:

• Johnny Jump-Ups
  • Natt og dag (Norwegian)
  • Wild Pansy

Comment:

These little flowers were dancing in the breezes a bit too much for a good f/16 without flash.

Interestingly, the viola's whiskers are visible in IR but not in UV. The UV signature is typical of other violas.

See also Viola tricolor x wittrockiana [Hybrid Pansy].

Reference:

1. Den virtuella floran (2015) Styvmorsviol. Viola tricolor L. Naturhistoriska riksmuseet

Visible Light [f/16 for 1/400" @ ISO-100 in Sunlight with Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

violaTricolorVisSun_051414heddalNorge_19162origpn.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/16 for 1/125" @ ISO-400 with SB-14 UV-modified Flash and Baader UV-Pass Filter]

violaTricolorUVBaadSB14_051414heddalNorge_19167origpn.jpg

Infrared Light [f/16 for 1/1600" @ ISO-200 in Sunlight with B+W 092 IR-Pass Filter]

violaTricolor092IRSun_051414heddalNorge_19180origpn.jpg

Interesting observation in IR. However, as this was shot with the B+W O-92, it should be mentioned that this filter is not the equivalent of a Hoya etc. 720 nm IR filter as its 50% point is below 700 nm (around 695 nm if memory serves). Thus, the 'whisker pattern in IR' might be an artifact of the filter 's deep-red response rather than a feature of the flower itself.

Most violets and pansies show something similar in UV. There are variations as to what part of the corolla is dark or brighter, but the overall look is related. Only species I have seen with something entirely different is the alpine V. biflora, a yellow-flowered plant. This has a beautiful classic bull's-eye pattern.

Gracias, Damon.

Bjørn, I'll check my other Viola fotos to see what happens in strict IR.