UltravioletPhotography

Campanula rapunculoides [Creeping Bellflower]

Andrea B.

Blum, A.G. (2013) Campanula rapunculoides L. (Campanulaceae) Creeping Bellflower. Flowers photographed in ultraviolet and visible light. http://www.ultraviol...ing-bellflower/

Kinship Lane, Southwest Harbor, Maine, USA

14 July 2012

Wildflower

Synonyms:

• Campanula morifolia Salisb.
  • Ca. rapunculiformis St.-Lag. nom. illeg.
  • Ca. rapunculoides var. ucranica (Besser) K.Koch
  • Ca. rhomboidea Falk
  • Ca. rigida Stokes nom. illeg.
  • Ca. ucranica Schult.
  • Cenekia rapunculoides (L.) Opiz
  • Drymocodon rapunculoides (L.) Fourr.
  • Rapunculus redivivus E.H.L.Krause

Comment:

I was disappointed to learn that the lovely C. rapunculoides has become rather invasive after its introduction to the US. I can't say I'm surprised, however, because this Creeping Bellflower seems very tough. I've found them growing in the sidewalk cracks in Northeast Harbor (ME). The NEWFS entry(1) charmingly observes that "it is edible, so escaped individuals can be permanently disposed of".

Like most Campanula, this specimen exhibits UV-dark anthers and stigma and a UV-bright corolla. It has visibly fluorescent anthers and nectary under UV stimulation.

Reference:

1. New England Wild Flower Society (2013) Campanula rapunculoides. Creeping Bellflower. https://gobotany.new...ichotomous#dkey

Equipment [Nikon D300-broadband + Carl Zeiss 60mm f/4.0 UV-Planar]

Visible Light [f/8 for 1/2.5" @ ISO 200 with onboard Flash and Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

Click to view larger in an expanded browser.

campanulaRapunculoidesVisFlash_071412swhME_28025pnCropRes.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/8 for 1/60" @ ISO 200 with SB-14 UV-modified Flash and Baader UV-Pass Filter]

Click to view larger in an expanded browser.

campanulaRapunculoidesUVBaadSB14_071412swhME_28043pnCrop.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/8 for 1/60" @ ISO 200 with SB-14 UV-modified Flash and Baader UV-Pass Filter]

The stigma and anthers are UV-dark.

campanulaRapunculoidesUVBaadSB14_071412swhME_28027pnCropRes.jpg

UV-Induced Visible Fluorescence [f/8 for 1/8" @ ISO 200. Nichia 365 UV-Led + Baader-UV-Pass Filter. Lens + Baader UVIR-Block Filter. Photographed in Darkness.]

Note: This photo has not been formally colour-calibrated, so the colours of the Fluorescence are not accurate.

The anthers and nectary fluoresce brightly under UV light.

campanulaRapunculoides365UVLedUVIVisFluor_071412swhME_28065pfCropRes.jpg