UltravioletPhotography

Doratifera quadriguttata [Four-spotted Cup Moth Larvae]

Oldfield, D. 2015. Doratifera quadriguttata Walker 1885 (Limacodidae) Four-spotted Cup Moth Larvae. Fauna photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/1205-doratifera-quadriguttata-four-spotted-cup-moth-larvae/

Maldon, Victoria, Australia

26 January 2015

Australian Moth Larvae

Comment

Doratifera quadriguttata is known as a cup moth from the shape of the cocoon of the pupa which is cup-shaped with a circular lid over the opening. The larvae possess hairs which can inflict a painful sting if touched. When the larvae are small they feed in a group and remove the surface of the leaf, later they feed individually and chew the edges of the leaf. The larvae are mostly found on Eucalyptus trees.

Visible Light: Pentax K-5 Full Spectrum Modification, Nikon Rayfact PF10545 MF-UV 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Metz 15 MS-1 flash, 1/180 s @ f/11 ISO 200, Baader UV/IR Cut Filter.

post-28-0-49439400-1422327763.jpg

Image Reference: DO54151

Ultraviolet Light: Pentax K-5 Full Spectrum Modification, Nikon Rayfact PF10545 MF-UV 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Nissin Di866 Mark II flash, 1/180s @ f/11 ISO 200, Baader UV-Pass Filter.

post-28-0-99458400-1422327781.jpg

Image Reference: DO54153

References:

McMaugh, J. What Garden Pest or Disease is that?, Lansdowne Press, 2009, p.47.

Victorian Department of Primary Industry http://www.depi.vic....seases/cup-moth

Atlas of Living Australia http://bie.ala.org.a...a+quadriguttata

Published 27 January 2015

That's awesome Dave!

All I can do here is take some UV of snow. Storm coming tonight--24+ inches in some areas.

No heat in my UV shack either. :D

-D

Good find Dave....I hope you put it back with the cabbages again :D

Damon, with those 6 Blak-Rays going, it must be like a sauna....

Col

Does anyone know if the colouration of larvae is due to pigments or to structural colour in the same way that moth/butterfly wings show structural colours from the scales?

Dave

The UV signature appears to correlate to the visible pigments.

Dave, this is the craziest looking caterpillar I've seen in a long time. Quite an amazing fellow !! Thank you so much for capturing these fotos.

Dave: don't think this is related to structure, as you see similar appearance at very different angles of incident light. Pigments are more likely the underlying cause.

If the visible red isn't enough to warn off birds which are thinking of making a meal of this larvae then perhaps the bright UV signature along the pointy bits would do the trick. The UV-light green stripe along the mid-line of the back intrigues me as that isn't a very common false UV colour.

Dave

Well, false-green is not common in flowers. It could be that false-green isn't unusual in caterpillars. Or elsewhere. :D We really don't know.

Seems like the UV-bright areas along this fellow's back would be somewhat of an advertisement to any other UV-capable creature, doesn't it? Looks like a well-lit landing strip.

Dave, I hope you find more caterpillars as you prowl the mysterious UV world.