UltravioletPhotography

Plantago major [Common Plantain]

Andrea B.

Blum, A. G. (2014) Plantago major L. (Plantaginaceae) Common Plantain. Flowers photographed in ultraviolet and visible light. http://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/1150-plantago-major-common-plantain/

Southwest Harbor, Maine, USA

10 July 2014

Wildflower

Synonyms:

• Broadleaf Plantain
  • Great Plantain
  • Plantago major var. pilgeri Domin

Comment:

Having thought of this as a weed for many years, I am pleased now to think instead of the wind-pollinated P. major as a useful medicinal herb with pretty dancing anthers surrounding a furry pistil.

Reference:

1. New England Wild Flower Society (2014) Plantago major L. Common Plantain. https://gobotany.new...plantago/major/

Equipment [Nikon D600-broadband + Carl Zeiss 60mm f/4.0 UV-Planar]

Fotos may be clicked up to a maximum 1000 pixel width.

Visible Light [f/xx13x for 1/800" @ ISO 400 with Nikon Df + Nikon 60mm f/2.8G Micro-Nikkor]

P. major is a first colonizer and forms large colonies in disturbed soils. It seems not to mind being trampled.

plantagoMajor_071014shoreCottageSwhME_5750pf.jpg

Visible Light [f/11 for 1.3" @ ISO 400 with onboard Flash and Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

The bloom progress up the stalk. Note the emergent pistils near the top.

plantagoMajorVisFlash_071014swFoodMartSwhME_20608pn2.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/11 for 20" @ ISO 400 with SB-14 UV-modified Flash and Baader UV-Pass Filter]

A long exposure was taken so that the UV flash could be used 3 times for even illumination.

Note the UV-bright anther filaments.

plantagoMajorUVBaadSB14_071014swFoodMartSwhME_20621pn.jpg

"It seems not to mind being trampled."

Now, that's a true understatement with a British accent to it :)

Actually, its seed dispersal is entirely dependent upon trampling of the plant.

To elaborate my statement: P. major has seeds that become sticky in wet weather. They then cling to whatever moving objects coming in contact with them. The plant is commonly nicknamed 'The Footprint of the White Man' as it followed the trails of the pioneers and their wagons going westwards across America. Same over here where I live. Every footpath, even up into the mountain range, eventually will have P. major along it. As a strategy of dispersal it is highly successful.

P. major foliage was widely used in folk medicine for example to dress wounds, hence its vernacular name 'groblad' ('Growth leaves'). It is efficient for the purpose - I have used it myself for dressing wounds inflicted in the field.