UltravioletPhotography

Brassica rapa ssp. campestris [Wild Turnip]: A Y-FB

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2013. Brassica rapa L. ssp. campestris (L.) A.R. Clapham (Brassicaceae). Wild Turnip. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...is-wild-turnip/

Brassica rapa L. ssp. campestris (L.) A.R. Clapham

Syn. B. campestris L., B. rapa L. ssp. sylvestris (L.) Janch. (ssp. campestris), B. campestris L. var. oleifera DC. (ssp. oleifera), B. campestris L. ssp. rapifera (Metzg.) Sinskaya, B. rapa L. ssp. rapifera Metzg. (ssp. rapa)

NO: Åkerkål (ssp. campestris); ryps (ssp. oleifera); nepe, turnips (ssp. rapa)

SE: Åkerkål;rybs, ryps (ssp. oleifera); rova (ssp. rapa)

DK: Ager-Kål (ssp. campestris), Rybs (ssp. oleifera)

FI: Peltokaali (ssp. campestris); Rypsi (ssp. oleifera); Nauris, Turnipsi (ssp. rapa)

IS: Akurkál (ssp. campestris); Næpur (ssp. rapa)

DE: Rübsen

EN: Wild Turnip; Field Mustard (ssp. campestris);Turnip-rape (ssp. oleifera); Turnip (ssp. rapa)

This complex comprises a bewildering range of cultivated and wild races, to which almost every possible combinations of botanical names and authorities have been applied over time. The collective species is native to Europe and adjacent regions of Asia.

Specimens (ssp. campestris) collected outside Oslo, Norway 1 Jul 2008.

BRAS_CAM_I0807017897_VIS.jpg

Image reference: BRAS_CAM_I0807017897_VIS.jpg

Visible light. Nikon D200, Coastal Optics 60 mm f/4 APO lens, Baader UV/IR block filter, daylight.

BRAS_CAM_I0807017899_UV.jpg

Image reference: BRAS_CAM_I0807017899_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light. Nikon D200, Coastal Optics 60 mm f/4 APO lens, Baader U 2" (Venus) filter, SB-140 flash.

The UV rendition is remarkable as the petals are different on their upper and lower sides, the latter being much more UV reflective than the adaxial surface. Even more surprising as the buds (seen in the background) do not show the same pattern.

[Published 10 Feb 2013]

• 2 years later...
Interesting. I have seen one (I thought it was the same species, but I am not sure. It was planted as a Chinese cabbage in my garden). but it had a dark center and yellow outside, much as a black-eyed susan.
The various Brassica species are extensively cultivated and interbred. Thus their UV signature apparently ranges all over the place.
When the Brassicas are cultivated there are lots of crossing and hybrids, of course. It has also been noted (somewhere?) that garden plants are sometimes misnamed. So far, I think, the wild varieties have shown stable UV signatures.

If we didn't assume some stability for most wild species, all keys would fly away into the ozone. :D

There are notorious exceptions - Burdock comes to mind.

You misunderstand my meaning, Andrea. We are talking about the original genotypes for taxa later being exploited and developed for human use. These 'native' races can easily become genetically polluted. That is not to say such pollution and interbreeding by necessity occur. A case is the native carrot Daucus carota (Apiaceae), native to southernmost Norway, where the wild form is markedly different from the cultural races and I have never seen any signs of inbreeding there, although carrot cultivation is widespread in the same districts.

Yes that is clearly understood. I did not misunderstand you!

But when you said this: To the extent that 'unpolluted' wild varieties can be found, perhaps.

I then responded with a comment about assuming as best we can that the wild varieties remain unpolluted. Except for Burdock.