UltravioletPhotography

Viola tricolor x wittrockiana [Hybrid Pansy]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. Viola tricolor L. x wittrockiana Gams ex Kappert (Violaceae). Hybrid Pansy. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...a-hybrid-pansy/

Viola tricolor L. x wittrockiana Gams ex Kappert

The widely cultivated Viola x wittrockiana complex ('Pansy') is a cross between V. tricolor and a range of other species such as V. lutea Huds., V. altaica Ker Gawl and V. cornuta L.

One occasionally finds fertile hybrids or back-crossings of garden pansies to the native V. tricolor and such hybrids tend to be more winter-hardy than the pansies themselves. On the other hand they have much smaller and less showy flowers. I thought it interesting to see whether the UV patterns of these hybrids had any relationship to the various colours of their flowers.

Plants collected at Sørum, Norway 9 May 2011.

XWITTR_I1105095238_VIS.jpg

Image reference: XWITTR_I1105095238_VIS.jpg

Visible light. NIKON D3S, Voigtländer 125 mm f/2.5 APO Macro-Lanthar, Baader UV/IR Cut filter, Broncolor Studio flash

XWITTR_I1105092843_UV.jpg

Image reference: XWITTR_I1105092843_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light. Nikon D40X, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader U 2" (Venus) filter, Broncolor Minicom Studio flash (uncoated Xenon tube).

It is fairly evident that the pigmentation patterns of the corolla, seen in visible light, are indicated by similar patterns in UV.

[Published 8 Feb 2013]