UltravioletPhotography

Hello from São Paulo/Brazil

Adelson

My name is Adelson Corigliano. I am a newbie amateur photographer. It is a hobby since 2007.

Time means nothing, since i rarelly trained. In fact there are a few things that i really like in this area: Portraits, nature (macro photography) and hardware. Yes... Sensors, lenses, MTF graphs, specifications and so on.

Perhaps all this reflects what i did my entire life. I am a IT professional, a firmware programmer since 1990. In 1993 i studied Physical therapy, loved all basic disciplines like anatomy, physiology, cell biology, microbiology but i have never worked in the area.

I have begun interested in photography when it turned into digital, what i thought was a natural tool to document my live. In that time i collected crystals and found fascinating taking pictures of the entire collection. Lucky for me, the crystals are long gone but i have their images...

Someday i heard about "old" infrared films. Immediately I began curious and started my search in internet.

In that time there was not this quantity of specialized sites/forums.

But i never gave up, from time to time i searched USA stores that sells IR filters, and as stores do, they showed me related things, as ultraviolet filters..

OK, from this day on i became crazy about the idea of see what no human could see, documented it. Finnally, the photography made sense to me. However, were i live there is no support for this kind of picture. Besides, everything takes months to arrive. An example is my "UV equipment", that i bought piece by piece, since the beginning of this year - and is not completed! I have two broadband cameras, one D90 that was chosen as suggested by several posts i saw here and a 5Dmk2. I also bought a T3i (600d) and turned it into IR720 (Hoya R72), next week i will conclude another 600D changing the hot mirror by a piece of UG11, to be used with a 2mm S8612 in front of the lens.

By the way, i only saw that new Nikons are "broadbandable" recently, but only in USA. What a pity...

Alas, last weekend i did and published my first "UV picture", probably the first made by a brazillian photographer in here. It was very hard to do it, since i do not have a UV capable lens system (every time i know that i need something else, so more three months until arrive - this time, helicoids, since the bellows is large enough to not focus at infinite with my 80mm EL Nikkor). Well, i bought SIX Mecablitz 45ct-1 and blasted all togheter, full charge... It did not offer UV enough to reach the sensor, passing thru a Baader Venus 2. I just could do the picture using led continuous light provided by three flashligths (60 leds each).

Sorry i cannot offer the exif right now, but with your precious help, please, I ask you indicate me the more appropriate place to repost the picture and the data.

That's it, less concise impossible. But that is me, love to talk, to write, to know people that share the same interests. Above all, I love to teach what i learn. I think that no one should pass what i am passing,

Last, but not least, i removed the plastic front cover from all mecablitz, only one is really yellowish. Is this flash a really good UV source? If not, what should i use?

Finnally (again) that is my "selfie", a vulgar term used here to indicate a self taken photo, usually made with cell phones, without any care or concern.

Please, my friends, take in account that i did this photo holding three flashligths, controlling the focus and the trigger by computer, without move :P. I did not apply ANY PP.

Thanks! I am really glad to know you all.

Adelson

post-56-0-95872500-1417336289.jpg

You are most welcome. The more members the merrier the community. Plus we now are represented on yet another Continent :P

As to the technical side of the UV business, ask for help on any topic besides using the site for browsing around. I find our members to be very helpful and willing to share their experience and insights. Perhaps not surprising as we all are climbing the steep hill of improving our UV methodology and nobody has yet reached the summit.

Hello Adelson

Welcome to UVP, but please no more aiming UV lights at your eyes, no more please.

I am in Australia & UV friendly equipment is further away for us too.

Keep up the good work & show us the local native flora & fauna.

Cheers

Col

Welcome Adelson, happy to see you here. Don't worry as you will never actually have everything you need. :P

For me it seems there is always "just one more thing" I could/should get.

It's not a photography style enjoyed by the masses but that is also part of what is cool about it. Also there is plenty of mystery and intrigue still to be found.

-Damon

Hello Adelson

Welcome to UVP, but please no more aiming UV lights at your eyes, no more please.

I am in Australia & UV friendly equipment is further away for us too.

Keep up the good work & show us the local native flora & fauna.

Cheers

Col

Dear friend Col,

It is the kind of message that makes me happy, and very welcome. Your preocupations with m actions denotes you are a big hearted man. Thanks to advise.

What you see is my hypocritical personality... I tell everyone the same you did, but i dont apply it to myself. Why? Vanity! How do i do a portrait without eyes..?. :)))) At least good part of the uv was absorbed by my reading glasses, since you see only a point of light in my eyes.

Thank you very much Col, i certainly will be more creative to make uv portraits with protection.

Thank you my dear friends,

Now i feel my work will blossom (no pun intended).

I wish to express my deeply sincere thank you for Bjørn, that offered one of the few things in this world that has no price: the standing hand of charity, when asked me to post in the topics. I have been crawling all this months, buying things i dont know if i will use, repeating tests already done... All that because no one before offered a direct, almost ever simple, answer.

I certainly will post, i expect comply with the high standards of this forum and do the best i can to cooperate and produce something new, that help to improve our community.

Thank you all!

P.S. As a brazillian, you will see i tend to be effusive. Sorry for that, i will never tell something to offend anyone, ok? Just one or other joke, like this, that appeared in my mind right now...

The guy enters in a Uv forum and asks which rock band the communiti loves. Unanimously, they reply "deep purple".

Hello Adelson and welcome to UVP. I hope you enjoy the website !!

We want it to be a friendly place with lots of questions and experiments from which we all learn.