UltravioletPhotography

Eremophila bignoniiflora

DaveO

Oldfield, D. 2014. Eremophila bignoniiflora (Benth.) F. Muell. (Scrophulariaceae) Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light.

http://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/1132-eremophila-bignoniiflora/

Maldon, Victoria, Australia

5 November 2014

Australian Native Wildflower as Garden Specimen

Comment

Eremophila bignoniiflora is widespread throughout Queensland and New South Wales. The flowers are normally cream or pink to red. This blue/purple form is a selection that has become recently available for cultivation.

Visible Light: Nikon D7100 Full Spectrum Modification, Nikon Rayfact PF10545 MF-UV 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Metz 15 MS-1 flash, 1/180 s @ f/16 ISO 200, B+W UV/IR Cut Filter.

post-28-0-27070600-1417152258.jpg

Image Reference: DO70575

Ultraviolet Light: Nikon D7100 Full Spectrum Modification, Nikon Rayfact PF10545 MF-UV 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Nissin Di866 Mark II flash, 1/180s @ f/11 ISO 200, Baader UV-Pass Filter.

post-28-0-33478000-1417152283.jpg

Image Reference: DO70579

References:

Chinnock, R.J. Eremophila and Allied Genera, Rosenberg, 2007, p. 436.

Boschen, N., Goods, M. and Wait, R. Australia’s Eremophilas – changing gardens for a changing climate, Bloomings Books, 2008, p.34.

Published 28 November 2014

By golly Dave, there are more Eremophilas than grains of sand on the beach!!

I remain fascinated by your work after having encountered the "displaced" Eremophila in Death Valley which took me so long to identify.

Last May we went to our local Australian Plants Society sale day and came back with pockets seriously lighter :P Russell Wait, one of the authors of the book above, was there with lots of "undescribed" hybrids (probably selections) and he kept handing plants to Sue and saying "You won't have this..." so what could we do??? This flower was almost on the ground and we didn't see it until it actually opened, then the local slugs had a party overnight so this is all we got. I'm sort of behind with posting Eremophilas so there are more to come.

Dave

Col,

We do have a Blue Tongue resident under our deck which is probably 30 metres from that flower, perhaps it wasn't very active that particular night. We also have a Stumpy Tail lizard which passes through, a couple of million common Skinks and a semi-resident Echidna. There are various snakes in the neighborhood that we see occasionally and an ever increasing Australian Magpie population whose chief purpose in life is to empty our bird baths by splashing their contents onto the garden when they have a very vigorous bath.

Dave

Oh, I see, well the Blue Tongue needs some lessons..... you up to that Dave :P

The Magpies are welcome around here, as well as our other Aussie Mates.

But not the serpent variety, except the Python kind, but especially the Eastern Brown & Tipan & to think they need protection !

Col