UltravioletPhotography

Gerbera sp. [Gerbera]

Noe, D. 2014. Gerbera sp. L. [Asteraceae] Gerbera. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet-induced visible fluorescence (UVIVF). http://www.ultraviol...era-sp-gerbera/

Sweetwater, NJ

16 November 2014

Ornamental Species

Comment

My makeshift studio is ~75% done.

Tried some multicellular eukaryotes of the Kingdom Plantae.

I haven't typed anything like that since high school. Feels good to get back into it.

These sure are some of the plainest looking sunflowers. Pretty little buggers though--especially in UVIVFL--wow. $4 at the grocery store. You have to look close to see the tiny flowers in the center, each with it's own set of petals. Aster/sunflowers are neat like that. What looks like one giant flower is really hundreds sometimes.

Lesson learned: Dust is everywhere when you shoot indoors! This is my first shot inside and the UV shot was covered in dust (still is), which of course fluoresces brightly. Will need to solve this before moving ahead.

Visible Light: Canon SX50 Unmodified, LED for light, 0.3 s @ f/8 ISO 80, No Filters.

post-51-0-98921000-1416283560.jpg

UVIVFL: Canon SX50 Unmodified, Blak-Ray B-100AP, 6 s @ f/8 ISO 80, No Filters.

post-51-0-52491100-1416283699.jpg

Diptych

post-51-0-88945700-1416283842.jpg

-D

I am going to see how close I can get to my little flower in UVIVFL. Now that my redneckish studio is basically done, I can try some new stuff. I have both a stereo and compound microscope and it appears after a few attempt that this is going to be a interesting challenge.

So instead I stuck with my regular equipment and took some close ups. Not too bad for a first attempt. Some extension tubes should get me even closer. I stacked 25 images. Apparently not enough as there is some parts still out of focus, but I am getting there.

UVIVFL: Canon 20D Unmodified, 3 Blak-Rays B-100AP, 5 s @ f/8 ISO 100, No Filters.

post-51-0-47329700-1416628208.jpg

Fantastic Danon, I would like to see this in full size, please.

Some out of focus is OK, they are a long way from the subject, relatively speaking.....

Which stacking s/w are you using ?

Col

Thanks!

I don't want to blow my Mb limit but if you have another place to send it I will give you the full one. I think it is only ~3Mb.

Tried Zerene stacker. 1st time I used it. Seems easy enough. Shooting at medium/low quality setting & f8 which I found out was the sharpest aperture for my canon 100mm macro lens. I am going to try ~60mm of extension tubes and see what happens. ;)

Essentially gave up on my Full frame Canon 5D. Simply could not get it to capture what I was seeing in UVIVFL. Never did figure out why. Messed with practically every worthy setting and they always came out dull.

--D

Thanks Damon

The Zerene seems to be the one that the pros use, the only disadvantage is the yearly license.

As far as the 20D goes.... don't change a thing ;)

You don't have a Flickr account ?

You could email me direct... colinbm at bigpond dot com

Col

PS. That soil / sand looks moist, I would guess it is algae & by its coverage ?

The Zerene license is not paid on a yearly basis? I purchased a license years ago, never had to renew it, and can download and install updates. This practice is unlike PhotoNinja where unfortunately the license does have to be renewed *if* you wish to update your existing program version. However if your current PN version copes well enough with your cameras then just use it and don't update and all is fine.