UltravioletPhotography

Alisma plantago-aquatica [Water-plantain]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2013. Alisma plantago-aquatica L. (Alismataceae). Water-plantain. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...water-plantain/

Alisma plantago-aquatica L.

NO: Vassgro

SE: Svalting; kranssvalting

DK: Vejbred-Skeblad

FI: Ratamosarpio

DE: Gewöhnlicher Froschlöffel

EN: Water-plantain

A. plantago-aquatica is an emergent macrophyte with several subspecies which together have a broad Circumboreal distribution. It is typically found in ponds, gravel pit and similar sites, or along rivers and lakeshores where some disturbance occurs. The dispersal into new habitats typically occurs very fast and it frequently is seen amoing the first colonising species of a suitable fresh aquatic location. The sites tend to be slightly enriched, but A. plantago-aqautica is also at home in fairly oligotrophic lakes.

The main growth form has emergent, plantain-like foliage and comes into flowering in the early summer. Wholly submerged plants with linear strap-shaped leaves are quite common as well, and so is an intermediate stage with small floating leaves. The latter specimens sometimes are misidentified as the rare Luronium natans.

The tall air-borne inflorescence carries whorls with quite small, short-lived white flowers on long stalks. Only part of the flowers are opened at any time. The petals, numbered three, are delicate and easily shed during windy or rainy days. Mainly smaller insects visit these flowers.

Plants collected and photographed near Oslo, Norway 4 Aug 2010.

ALIS_PLA_I1008041062_VIS.jpg

Image reference: ALIS_PLA_I1008041062_VIS.jpg

Visible light. Nikon D40X, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader UV/IR Cut filter, daylight.

ALIS_PLA_I1008041231_UV.jpg

Image reference: ALIS_PLA_I1008041231_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light. Nikon D40X, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader U 2" (Venus) filter, SB-140 flash.

In UV, the petals of A. plantago-aquatica exhibit a rich occurrence of conical cells which causes patches of iridesencence on their surface. A close-up from the figure above shows this phenomenon clearly,

ALIS_PLA_I1008041231_UV_IRID.jpg

[Published 7 Feb 2013]