UltravioletPhotography

Hello from Uppsala, Sweden

enricosavazzi

enricosavazzi

Hi,

I have been doing UV photography for quite a few years, and after several visits to this site I decided to become a member. I am very ignorant about botany, but I can probably contribute to equipment and methods discussions.

I brief, I have a past as a university resercher and teacher mainly in Germany, USA, Sweden and Japan, mostly in paleontology and marine biology, but for the last few years I have been working as a technical writer in IT and telecom. I am still publishing scientific papers as a hobby, but I do not plan to return to an academic employment. In fact, I count on retiring in about 4 years.

List of my scientific papers at savazzi.net/palaeobiology/pubblis.htm. A couple of them deal with photography. If you are interested in reprints of specific papers (not whole books), PM me. In most cases, I cannot make reprints publicly downloadable without passing through a login "barrier", but I am allowed to distribute them to colleagues, and I interpret this as including ultravioletphotography.com members. If you are a member at academia.edu or researchgate.net, which costs nothing, you can directly download reprints of most of my papers without asking, and also have access to potentially interesting papers by several other authors.

I do not make any money out of photography (except for publishing a book a few years ago). My web site (www.savazzi.net) has a disproportionately large section on photography, where I concentrate on methods and equipment, including UV photography but also many other things that caught my fancy. I don't have much time to do field photography, so I concentrate on studio techniques, and I write a lot about photography because it is easier than doing actual photography during my daily 5 hours commute.

If you wonder about my book "Digital photography for science: Close-up photography, macrophotography and photomacrography", check out first the Google Books preview. It is very large, and if you are lucky the information you need may be available there for free. If you still want to buy the book, you can probably save quite a bit of money on the cover price by following the directions at savazzi.net/dp.htm.

My current equipment for UV photography:

Cameras: Converted Nikon D70s and Panasonic G3.

UV lenses: Coastalopt 60 mm Apo Macro, UV Rodagon 60 mm, loads of "accidental" and enlarger lenses I don't use so often.

UV-pass filters: about two dozen, including most of the common ones, as well as a few more exotic and a few useless ones.

UV enabled electronic flash: Bowens 1500Pro and 500R, Vivitar 285HC, Metz 45 CT-1.

For a semi-serious summary of how cameras intertwined with my life, see savazzi.net/photography/mycameras.html

BR,

Hello Enrico and Welcome to UVP. I hope you enjoy this site. We are very happy to have you here.

I have read and enjoyed your site for years and learned so much about UV lenses there. Your recommendations are picked up and included in our Lens Sticky (with links to your site) in which we try to provide a list of UV capable lenses.

Your tip about using the UV-Rodagon inside an adapter which would permit infinity focus were great news for me. I had always wanted better use of that lens. BTW, how did you solve the problem of the aperture windows on that lens? Klaus recommended using black fingernail polish in them but I could not quite bring myself to use something so permanent on an expensive lens. "-)

A 5 hour daily commute must surely be a ordeal you are looking forward to giving up when you retire. My goodness that is a serious commute!!

ADMIN NOTE: We moved some comments by Enrico and others about blocking light leaks in aperture windows of enlarging lenses. The comments were moved to their own thread to make this important topic easier to find when searching. Here is the link:

http://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?/topic/968-blocking-light-leaks-from-aperture-windows/