UltravioletPhotography

Trifolium repens [White Clover]: More Examples

Andrea B.

Blum, A. G. (2014) More Examples of Trifolium repens L. (Fabaceae) White Clover. Flowers photographed in ultraviolet and visible light. http://www.ultraviol...s-white-clover/

Comment:

Found in lawns across the United States.

Huang(2) first showed T. repens in UV. Here are some other examples which show the typical T. repens UV-signature.

In Ultraviolet T. repens is mostly UV-dark like other so many other Trifolium examples. It shows some patches of UV reflection at the tips of the florets very much dependent on the direction of the illumination thus probably indicating some iridescence. The reflexed withered florets also show some UV reflection.

Reference:

1. New England Wild Flower Society (2014) Trifoium repens L. White Clover. https://gobotany.new...ifolium/repens/

2. Huang, Z.Y. (2014) Trifolium repens L. (Fabaceae) White Clover. Flowers photographed in ultraviolet and visible light. http://www.ultraviol...ns-white-clover

Set 1

Southwest Harbor, Maine, USA

21 July 2014

Wildflower

Set 2

Middletown, New Jersey, USA

18 May 2009

Wildflower

Equipment [Nikon D200-broadband + Nikon 105mm f/4.5 UV-Nikkor]

Note: The lens EXIF is incorrect because I forgot to set the non-CPU lens information in the camera menu.

Visible Light [f/11 for 1/8" @ ISO 400 with onboard Flash and Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

trifoliumRepensVis051809mt_29807proofCrop.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/11 for 3" @ ISO 400 with Nichia 365nm UV-LED and Baader UV-Pass Filter]

trifoliumRepensUV051809mt_29812proof.jpg

Set 3

Southwest Harbor, Maine, USA

15 July 2008

Wildflower

Equipment [Nikon D200-broadband + Nikon 105mm f/4.5 UV-Nikkor]

Visible Light [f/11 for 1/750" @ ISO 400 in Sunlight with Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

trifoliumRepensVis071508swhME_23687pnpfpn.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/11 for 1.5" @ ISO 400 in Sunlight with Baader UV-Pass Filter]

trifoliumRepensUV071508swhME_23691pnpfpn.jpg

I will change my white clover to "another example" then..mine was done after rain and had a lot of water anyway....

Oh, I see now!! I was catching up on a backlog of various Trifolium yesterday and today so did not notice the detail that one of the Trifoliums was yours. :)

You can take the prime T. repens if you want. I'll edit my T. repens to be secondary.

I still have a lot to do in the Trifolium area, so I'll be working on it another day and will work the edit in at some point.

Zach: standard rules of priority apply, and your Trifolium repens post preceded Andrea's by 20 minutes :)

I have exerted my editorial rights and changed the thread title to comply with the fact referred to above.

Thanks, Bjørn.

I was going to re-edit as already noted above.

Last night I had to close down early and did not get to it.

Anyway here I am back and going to tidy up my T. repens today. :)

Bjorn,

Thank you! It is rare and by accident I could out-compete a UV master :)

I will refrain from posting the same genus again next time, when someone is busy posting.

I also have a Eastern Skunk Cabbage, Symplocarpus foetidus, I can post soon. Done by D70 and X135 earlier this year. It is in family Araceae. I believe the whole family is absent...

Zach, it's not a competition !! Do not worry about who is posting what and when. Everything is cool. :)

Fortunately there is no competition with winners and losers here.

I think the skunk cabbage is already posted (by Andrea), but there is a glitch in it being directly posted to the Araceae (which is a container category) instead of to the genus itself. Andrea probably will fix this. I have to attend to rebuilding a RAID system that overheated and went off-line (yes, Nordic summers can be dangerously hot on several levels).

I now see Araceae. For some reason Asteraceae is before all other families, even though it should be AFTER Araceae...Strange.

Fortunately there is no competition with winners and losers here.

I think the skunk cabbage is already posted (by Andrea), but there is a glitch in it being directly posted to the Araceae (which is a container category) instead of to the genus itself. Andrea probably will fix this. I have to attend to rebuilding a RAID system that overheated and went off-line (yes, Nordic summers can be dangerously hot on several levels).

I updated my post with some more flowers (without water!). My oldest flower (much older than Andrea's) had a hint of blue near the top, on the stalk supporting the flowers. I do not see the whole stalk being blue. I assume this is due to plant variation and not because my cheaper lens!

You are using a stacked filter and I was using the Baader-U which could cause some minor variations in false colour. False colours can also vary by lens and camera. There is no absolute standard. And indeed the age of a flower can sometimes alter the false colour also.

Remember, the most important thing about a UV-signature is always the pattern of blacks, whites and greys - that is, the tones - which underly the false colours.

My last two sets were made with the old D200. Let's see what happens with the false colours using the newer D600-broadband. (I'm about to get those posted today.)

Documentary photography can get a little boring so sometimes I try to be a little bit fancier. :)

Documentary photography can get a little boring so sometimes I try to be a little bit fancier. B)

That's what separates artists like you and Bjørn from tech heads like me!