UltravioletPhotography

Publishing Guidelines: Formatting References

Andrea B.

This is supplementary material for: Publishing Guidelines: Formal Botanical Presentations

I've tried to nail down the correct way to reference certain items. For books and scientific papers we have fairly well-established guidelines to follow. However, for referencing websites I've found so many different formats that I'm simply going to make some suggestions for the sake of clarity without trying to establish a rigid required format for those.

Unacceptable References:

Yes, it is 2014 and this is the Internet, but please do not use Bare Links in your reference lists or elsewhere.

We are attempting to maintain some scientific standards on UVP, so you need to tell your readers what you are linking them to with proper titling and formatting. We are all wary these days of clicking on links which might lead to viruses or weird web pages. By properly titling and formatting any reference links, you are assuring your readers that a link is safe to access.

Referencing Wildflowers vs. Referencing Cultivars

Always provide at least one authoritative reference for a wildflower post taken from a field guide, botanical website, published flora, published key, scientific book or scientific paper.

If you are posting a cultivar, then a reference would be appreciated if you can find one but is not mandatory.

Referencing Your Own UVP Reference List

If you have created and published a list of your heavily used references in our Reference Lists board, then the title of that post should have the format: My References: My_Name.

Please use that post title in your reference list.

For example, here is my reference list given in two acceptable formats. I think the first one seems cleaner.

1. My References: Andrea G. Blum

2. My References: Andrea G. Blum. http://www.ultraviol...-andrea-g-blum/

Referencing Scientific Papers:

Name format: Surname, Initial.

Usually the Journal Name is placed in italics.

Links to papers or their abstracts are entirely optional.

1. Author(s) (Year_of_Publication). Title_of_paper. Journal_Name, volume, page. LINK

Referencing Books or Field Guides:

Name format: Surname, Initial.

Usually the Book Title is placed in italics.

Links to books are entirely optional.

When referencing a book or field guide in which you have looked up a specific flower, then you might like to add a chapter or page reference too. Use either the flower's taxon name or common name accordingly as the book does. See reference #2.

1. Author(s) (Year_of_Publication). Title_of_book. Publisher. LINK.

2. Author(s) (Year_of_Publication). Title_of_book. Flower_name, page_num. Publisher. LINK

Referencing Wikipedia, if you simply must:

We have not taken a formal position yet on Wikipedia references. Wikipedia themselves state that Wikipedia is not a credible or authorative source and urge caution about using Wikipedia for academic research. We strongly suggest that you should first try to find a good reference for a wildflower on a botanical website or from a field guide.

If you do use a Wikipedia reference, the format is basically like any other website format shown in the next section. Add the link under the flower name or at the end of the reference, as desired. Linking the sponsoring organization is optional.

1. Wikipedia (Date_of_Accession) Title_of_Wikipedia_Entry. Wikimedia Foundation, San Francisco, CA. LINK

2. Wikipedia (23 June 2014) Rudbeckia hirta. Wikimedia Foundation, San Francisco, CA.

Referencing Botanical Websites:

Botanical websites usually have a website title by which they are easily referenced or searched for. They also have a sponsoring organization or group which is useful to include. (These might be the same.)

It is mandatory to always provide the date on which you accessed any website.

The particular flower page you have accessed typically describes a flower which may be listed by either its taxon name or its common name accordingly as used on the webpage. Add the link under the flower name or at the end of the reference, as desired.

You can provide a optional link to the website's home page or its 'about us' page. And you can provide optional links to the sponsoring organization or group

I'm going to give examples here instead of boilerplate. In these examples, the primary link to the flower was placed under the flower name.

1. Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center (06 June 2014) Rudbeckia hirta. U. of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX.

2. Flora of North America Online (2014) Rudbeckia hirta Vol. 21, Page 57. FNA, New York & Oxford.

3. Cal Photos (22.06.2014) Rudbeckia hirta. Biodiversity Sciences Tech. Group, U. of Cal.-Berkeley, Berkeley, CA.

4. Den virtuella floran (2014) Sträv rudbeckia. Rudbeckia hirta L. Naturhistoriska Riksmuseet, Stockholm, Sweden.

Kindly notify me of any typos or errors.

Questions or comments always welcome but do strictly stick to topic in this thread.

Update to first post on 23 June 2014 includes

Referencing Wildflowers vs. Referencing Cultivars

Referencing Wikipedia, if you simply must