UltravioletPhotography

Cardamine pratensis [Cuckooflower]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2013. Cardamine pratensis L. (Brassicaceae). Cuckooflower. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...s-cuckooflower/

Cardamine pratensis L. (s.lat.)

Syn.: C. dentata Schult., C. palustris (Wimm. & Grab.) Peterm., C. pratensis L. ssp. palustris (Wimm. & Grab.) Janch., C. pratensis L. var. palustris Wimm. & Grab., C. pratensis L. ssp. dentata (Schult.) Celak. (ssp. paludosa), C. nymanii Gand., C. pratensis L. ssp. angustifolia (Hook.) O. E. Schulz , C. pratensis L. ssp. polemonioides Rouy (ssp. angustifolia)

NO: Engkarse (ssp. pratensis), sumpkarse (ssp. paludosa), polarkarse (ssp. angustifolia)

SE: Ängsbräsma, ängskrasse; äkta ängsbräsma (ssp. pratensis), kärrbräsma (ssp. paludosa), polarbräsma (ssp. polemonioides)

DK: Engkarse (ssp. pratensis), Sumpkarse (ssp. paludosa)

FI: Luhtalitukka

IS: Hrafnaklukka

DE: Wiesen-Schaumkraut

EN: Cuckooflower

C. pratensis is a polymorphic species native to Europe and Asia. The species complex seen as a whole has a circumboreal distribution. It is mainly a species of lush meadows where it can occur abundantly to colour the landscape in pale pink, violet, or creamy white in the late spring. Other races grow in mountain biotopes, along snowbeds and brooks, and wetlands. The variabilty of C. pratensis has generated a confusing and complex nomenclature that changes back and forth over time. Some of the races are easily identifiable others are not. In the Nordic countries, ssp. pratensis, ssp. paludosa, and ssp. angustifolia, are generally accepted and can be reasonably well kept apart in the field.

CARD_PRA_L040514852_VIS.jpg

Image reference: CARD_PRA_L040514852_VIS.jpg

Hasselblad XPan, 45 mm f/4 lens.

Lush spring meadows in white or pink by cuckooflowers are ubiquitous sights in coastal regions of Norway.

Plants for UV photography were collected near Oslo, Norway. They belong to ssp. pratensis which has a wide coastal and western distribution.

CARD_PRA_I1105210181_VIS.jpg

Image reference: CARD_PRA_I1105210181_VIS.jpg

Visible light: Nikon D200, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader UV/IR Cut filter, daylight.

CARD_PRA_I1105210187_UV.jpg

Image reference: CARD_PRA_I1105210187_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light: Nikon D200, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader U 2" (Venus) filter, Broncolor studio flash.

In UV light, the petals of C. pratensis are moderatelu UV-reflective. There are a small basal dark patch and veins are quite UV-dark as well. Larger conical cells are concentrated along thes veins and appear light greyish on this photograph.

CARD_PRA_I1105213451_UV.jpg

Image reference: CARD_PRA_I1105213451_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light: Nikon D200, EL-Nikkor 50 mm f/2.8 stacked on UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader U 2" (Venus) filter, Broncolor studio flash. 3X magnification.

The petals are rather shiny so depending on the incidence angle of light, they may become very bright. Apparently this relates to the presence of numerous smaller conical cells in the areas between the major veins.

[Published 16 Apr 2013]