UltravioletPhotography

Rocky Mountain High? .....and a board merger?

Andrea B.

And so I find myself here in Colorado, state of legalized weed. Who would have ever thunk it would happen anywhere in the US??? Well, don't get the wrong idea , I don't indulge myself, just not my thing, ymmv. But I do find the change in attitude and acceptance very interesting. And I've seen with my own eyes the novel and unusual ways the weed is packaged. If you ever want to try Marijuana Gummy Bear candy, then Colorado is your destination.

(Note to appalled readers: The version I saw does come with very strong labeling, childproof caps and instructions which include locking it up to prevent it from falling into little hands which might not realize it is not candy.)

I'll be here for about a month being a house caretaker and dog sitter for 2 charming West Highland Terriers. I'll be roaming around between 6500-7500 feet - but not moving too speedily. It's going to take a minute or two to adjust to that altitude for this sea-level dweller.

Although there have been some frosts, there are still a few hardy flowers straggling along. I've found lots of yarrow, a nice aster, lots of fleabane and a couple of "little yellow jobs". I did not bring the UV kit, so those will have to wait for some other time. The plan is to work on the backlog of UV botanicals which need posting. I hope I make some progress.

I was thinking about combining two of our sections: UV Techniques & Tests and UV/IR Experiences.

The Experiences section is getting a lot of techie stuff and is somewhat ambiguously labeled. So why not just have one section entitled -- what? I don't know. Do any of these work?

• UV Reports
  • UV Tech Talk
  • UV Tech, Tests & Talk
  • UV Techniques & Gear: Reports & Experiences

Comments and suggestions are welcomed on this potential board merger.

While in Washington State last year I saw it being sold in stores there as well. Weird thing was, the state didn't implode nor did the car accidents rates go up. Herrs chips and Domino's pizza sales have skyrocketed though. Regulators are unsure if there is a connection.

7500 feet--yeah we flatlanders feel the altitude pretty quick. Not sure about the Merger name though.

-D

I like UV Techniques & Tests as it's own section, perhaps UV/IR Experiences could be subdivided.

As for the quasi legal pot, it is still against US Federal law, so I expect there is still much to be worked out.

However, packaging as candy seems rather imprudent regardless of which side of the issue one stands.

Imagine the uproar if wine was packaged in single serving drink boxes like those juice boxes in kids lunches.

Anybody remember candy cigarettes from the '60s?

On the proposed merger: I suppose I could just try to move threads which are more technical in nature from Experiences to Techniques & Tests ???

Maybe I will do that and see if the "problem" recurs. I don't really consider it a big "problem", but I do like to keep things tidy in case someone is trying to search out technical information. They would naturally look in Techniques & Tests, but might skip Experiences and miss something useful.

On the interesting things being sold in Colorado: The Federales are content to "look the other way" because it is costing the taxpayer gazillions of dollars and too much manpower to attempt to regulate the weed trade. So as long as a State is regulating it well, it seems the Feds are content. At least that is the prevailing opinion and discourse around here.

From a personal point of view, I do think that such things should be left to State Law rather than to Federal Law. In my State of New Jersey, for example, we have permitted medicinal use of marijuana under a physician's care. I grant that there will likely be abuses, but then there are always abuses of laws.

The reason for the weed-candy approach is that medicinal users require an "edible". The folks using weed for glaucoma, pain, MS, nausea associated with chemotherapy and so forth cannot possibly smoke the stuff and must have something reasonably palatable to get the medicine ingested. The Gummi version I saw was in a prescription style bottle as I pointed out above. So in the form of candy, but packaged as an Rx.

By the way, the "weed store" I saw is in a nice office complex - and not on a main street with advertising or anything like that. I didn't go into it.

....if wine was packaged in single serving drink boxes like those juice boxes in kids lunches...

Oh John -- of course you can buy individually packed wine boxes. You can also buy colourful sodapop bottles full of lemonade and vodka, for example. Parents must be ever vigilant. But when was that ever any different. ;)

Everyone please remember that I'm just reporting something interesting (at least to me) here. I am neither advocating nor condemming.

And in a timely fashion to my personal observations, the New York Times has just published a very interesting article about structural changes in the brain induced by long-term use of the various weeds. http://www.nytimes.c...ults-teens.html

Well enough of that topic.

On another note:

I came to Colorado without my UV kit - thinking that there would be nothing in bloom at this time of year in the 6000-8000 foot levels due to frosts having long since set in. I wuz wrong!! I have found and identified 10 hardy, late-bloomers, 9 of which I've never UV-photographed before. Well, dang it. So it goes. Some other time perhaps.

Don't leave home without your UV kit ??

Cold at night here, but the sun is so warm during the day.