UltravioletPhotography

Mount Rushmore

Damon

Just got back from a nice 2 week journey through the Grand Tetons/Yellowstone/Badlands/Devils Tower, etc. Dragged the UV gear out there of course. Here is a shot of the big heads. Almost looks black and white in UV. If you download them both and look at them back and forth, G. Washington & A. Lincoln appear to be blinking slightly--a little freaky. It is interesting what UV does with shadows sometimes. Once in a while, it appears to almost eliminate them or perhaps not perceive them.

1st photo visible light

Nikon D70 No filters

El-Nikkor 80mm f5.6

1/640s f11 iso200

2nd photo UV

Nikon D70, Baader U filter

El-Nikkor 80mm f5.6

.4s f11 iso200

3rd diptych

Same and settings as above

post-51-0-18156100-1413242510.jpg

post-51-0-28029400-1413242527.jpg

post-51-0-74760000-1413242628.jpg

Damon, this is fantastic ! So interesting and fun to see a US iconic landmark in UV. Love it !!!!!

Teddy was an interesting pres, wasn't he? Certainly all over the map - literally and figuratively. But as I am a huge fan of our National Parks and support land conservation and so forth, he is way up there on my list of good guys for that.

For non-US readers: Theodore Roosevelt, our 26th president, was a great conservationist.

As president, Roosevelt created five national parks (doubling the previously existing number); signed the landmark Antiquities Act and used its special provisions to unilaterally create 18 national monuments, including the Grand Canyon; set aside 51 federal bird sanctuaries, four national game refuges, and more than 100 million acres' worth of national forests. (http://www.pbs.org/n...ical/roosevelt/)

Yes, I've certainly noticed that interesting thing with shadows in UV.

I suppose the shorter UV waves have something to do with it.........

Thanks!

He was almost unbelievable. His book "River of Doubt" reads like an Indiana Jones movie. An iconic landmark himself in my mind.

I took more UV of some of the Tetons and even got Old Faithful in UV and I will post them but they are somewhat plain. I'm not sure what I was hoping for. Maybe some secret Freemason message engraved in the granite of Washington's forehead only visible in UV...ha!

Strange that some of the blue sky was coming out quite yellowish, which is new to me.

1st photo visible light

Nikon D70 No filters

El-Nikkor 80mm f5.6

1/1250s f11 iso320

2nd photo UV

Nikon D70, Baader U filter

El-Nikkor 80mm f5.6

1/15s f11 iso320

3rd diptych

Same and settings as above

post-51-0-60216000-1413339692.jpg

post-51-0-13785600-1413339703.jpg

post-51-0-20121300-1413339717.jpg

A yellowish or pale green UV "colour" to the sky is not uncommonly seen with the usual processing of such images.

The air must be very clear as there is little discernible atmospheric haze to be seen.

I took more UV of some of the Tetons and even got Old Faithful in UV and I will post them but they are somewhat plain. I'm not sure what I was hoping for. Maybe some secret Freemason message engraved in the granite of Washington's forehead only visible in UV...ha!

Yeah, really!! Maybe we'll stumble upon something someday. :D Perhaps we should contact Dan Brown and let him in on our UV secret-revealing stuff.

Distant scenes that I've shot in UV have never much pleased me in because of the "fade" - contrast gets lower and detail is lost. Unlike shooting medium-to-close in UV where contrasts are high and there is tons of detail. So the appearance of your mountain scene is not unexpected. But you never know for sure what you're going to get, so keep shooting, yes?

Bjørn, the air there in the Tetons is pretty clear.