UltravioletPhotography

Gagea pratensis [Meadow Star-of-Bethlehem]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2013. Gagea pratensis (Pers.)Dumort (Liliaceae). Meadow Star-of-Bethlehem. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...ar-of-bethlehem/

Gagea pratensis (Pers.)Dumont

Syn. G. pratensis (Pers.) Dumort ssp. stenopetala (Fr.) Lindm.; G. stenopetala (Fr.) Rchb.

NO: Enggullstjerne

SE: Ängsvårlök

DK: Eng-Guldstjerne

FI: Puistokäenrieska

DE: Wiesen-Goldstern

EN: Meadow Star-of-Bethlehem; Meadow Gagea

A small early-flowering plant native to Central and Eastern Europe, G. pratensis becomes very scarce towards the North. It thrives in parks and similar low-growth grassland, and survives to the next spring by means of its subterranean bulbs. The pretty yellow flowers are large considered the small size of the plant. The petals are green on the outside.

Plants collected and photographed in Oslo, 15 Apr 2007.

GAGE_PRA_I0704154307_VIS.jpg

Image reference: GAGE_PRA_I0704154307_VIS.jpg

Visible light. Nikon D200, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader UV/IR blocking filter.

GAGE_PRA_I0704154308_UV.jpg

Image reference: GAGE_PRA_I0704154308_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light. Nikon D200, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader U 2" (Venus) filter, SB-140 flash.

This species is unusual by having large two-pronged UV marks that are fairly visible also to the naked eye. These UV marks can cause some specular reflection due to the abundance of conical cells on them. The abaxial (rear) sides of the petals are green in visible light and appear dark in UV. So the UV signature of this species will not be apparent to any pollinators before the flowers fully open.

[Published 3 Feb 2013]