UltravioletPhotography

UV Video

ahrneely

It's no problem at all making a UV video in sunshine. If you have a steady hand you may do away with the tripod as well. I keep a dedicated GH-2 camera just for that purpose.

However, things change when the weather is less ideal. Focusing can quickly become difficult with an EVF reading off the sensor (an example of a situation in which an EVF is much less useful than an optical finder). Still, using a UV-capable lens like my Coastal optics 60 mm f/4 APO, I have shot UV video inside dilapidated buildings where the only light is from the broken windows. The frame rate drops significantly, though, so any movement should be slow otherwise it appears quirky jerky. You should also set focus using the camera in single-frame (photography) mode as you then can do long exposures.

This is nicely done, had not seen it, Thanks.

Anybody catch what kind of lens was on that Canon? :D

Bjørn, is there any way to share UV video on this site?

Away from my office now so no UV video at hand at present. I'll look into this when I return over the weekend.

Or perhaps we could upload to Youtube and link to that instead?

The GH-2 does false-colour UV video directly in camera while so far the D3200 and D600 only do b/w stuff. Perhaps a video editing software could coax the false colours from these latter models as well.

My DMC-G3 also does good false-colour UV video directly in camera. I was trying to take some UV stills of birds and nearly gave up, they are never still, but shot video instead!

UV-video was great and so easily white balanced on the G3. I wanted to post the video here under UV fauna.

Ahr, thanks for the link. Very interesting.

I checked and we have the following permitted attachment types.

Extension = Mime Type

avi = video/x-msvideo

mov = video/quicktime

mpg = video/mpeg

viv = video/vivo

wmv = video/x-ms-wmv

What does that mean in practical terms ? Don't know yet. Will try to attach something later and see if it works.

OK, a MOV can be uploaded and attached (as noted above).

On my MacAir, when I click it, it asks for Quicktime in order to play.

That is to say, the Quicktime has to be on the Mac viewer's machine.

We already know all this. I just need to have an example here to work with.

That's all I have for now. I'll look tomorrow about how to embed this MOV.

We need a better approach. This is too cumbersome and besides, eats up our limited web space.

By the way, a media player designated as the default for MOV is required. On my system, this is VLC.

And anyway, the file is corrupted and not playable. :)

Just an experiment.

You are probably missing an up-to-date codec if this MOV won't work for you? It is from the Df.

Also, it takes a minute for the MOV to download onto your system before it will play.

I discovered that what needed to be done is to write a custom BB Code. I wrote one and will try it out.

testing an embed with new tag.

It did not work.

Back to the drawing board - but tomorrow. Too late to try again tonight.

aha!

Another test. The embed works only for URLs and not for attachments.

" />

Well it almost worked anyway. I made progress of a sort. Something got embedded there.

Now I know we also need plugins. Have to find out where.

Sorry to put you to another taks so soon back from your vacation, perhaps it would be better to simply link out for video.

Anyway, like Bjørn pointed out, it consumes a lot of site resources.

I looks like FotoZones has enabled embedded YouTube video that may be a good approach here.

I am not to keen on YouTube, any suggestions for alternate video posting sites?

John D

Vimeo perhaps for video.

Mostly I'm just curious about how to do this. Sometimes I need to hack around. The coding fingers get itchy. I discovered I could still write awk scripts the other day. I wrote a couple to change some file names. It was fun.

Fine if we can find a suitable hosting service and a way of presenting them here, without overloading our small server with huge files. I have plenty of UV video clips that could do with such an approach. Showing 10-15 secs of each should suffice.

How does the one I linked to on Fotozones work?

It appears to play the Youtube video embedded directly in a Fotozones page but I am clueless as to how exactly that works.

I assume this video file is hosted on Youtube but would that somehow burden the UVP server?

Fotozones probably has a plug-in which supports Youtube embedding of a Youtube link.

We don't currently have any video plug-ins. Or if we have them, they are not activated.

Embedding an uploaded media file would ultimately stress the server because we would run out of space if we had lots of them.

Embedding a link should not cause undue server stress I think, because we do not have heavy traffic ??

My DMC-G3 also does good false-colour UV video directly in camera. I was trying to take some UV stills of birds and nearly gave up, they are never still, but shot video instead!

UV-video was great and so easily white balanced on the G3. I wanted to post the video here under UV fauna.

OK, I created an account on Vimeo and uploaded my UV-video of a pair of American Goldfinches on one of my Dad's homemade bird feeders.

The WB seems OK and clearly shows rather striking false UV-yellow especially on the male. The video quality on Vimeo is less than my native file presumably due to how they compress.

My stills were from a farther distance and I never really got a good clean focus. As you can see these birds are rather active and to make matters worse the feeder was swaying too! I will post the best of my poor attempt in UV fauna later.

This looks pretty cool to me, JD. So Spinus tristus L. is very UV-reflective on its yellow-gold feathers. Interesting!

The problem with trying to link videos on UVP istead of embed them is that in the future the links may go away. Well, in the future everything may go away, of course. Including us. But we are trying for a permanent documentary database which means uploads not links. Then the data can at least be saved in a backup.

Thanks Andrea,

Question: Should a posting in UV fauna follow the formal guidelines?

Also, perhaps UVP could archive video off the server in case a video link goes away.

That way if I drop off the vine and Vimeo goes offline UVP could re-post these birds somewhere else.

Yes posting in UV Fauna should follow formal guidelines.

We'll eventually figure out something for videos.

• 3 years later...

Bjørn, why would you say that? It would be good to be able to post some videos here. In many ways Vimeo is preferable to You Tube which has become rather full of advertising.

I'm going to go check our tags to see what we have that is video related.

Testing the media tag.

Looks like this:

[media]https://player.vimeo.com/video/103859154?color=ffffff&portrait=0[/media]

Media tag does not appear to work for Vimeo. Why did it work for the You Tube posted elsewhere?