UltravioletPhotography

Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm f/3.5 Tessar on Ebay

Andrea B.

ADMIN: As always, caveat emptor. Neither UltravioletPhotography.com nor its Owner-Admins have any affiliation with this Ebay offering.

Someone might be interested in this nice lens for $118.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item46251f3d14

This lightweight aluminum, well-constructed lens has an M42 mount with the usual Pentax 45.46mm flange focal distance and so could be brought to infinity focus on Pentax, Sony or m4/3 bodies with the proper adapter. My copy is sharp and does not blur in the corners. The lens close focus is 1/2 meter.

To give you an idea of its UV-capability:

• At ISO800 and f/8 on a slightly cloudy day, I made a UV landscape shot with my copy of this lens on the Pentax K5-broadband at a 1/2" exposure.
  • At ISO800 and f/8 in an area where sunlight was bright but slightly attenuated by shady overhangs, I got a 10-feet away UV shot of my garden Rudbeckias in 2/5". The Rudbeckia UV-signature showed nicely.

Note: The base of this lens does not quite cover my M42/K-mount adapter, so outer portions of the adapter must be covered by something to prevent light leaks though the rim of the adapter. Be aware that M42/K-mount adapters can exhibit this little 'problem' with some older lenses. I haven't found an M42/K-mount adapter yet that doesn't leak, but I'm looking.

Note: The base of this lens does not quite cover my M42/K-mount adapter, so outer portions of the adapter must be covered by something to prevent light leaks though the rim of the adapter. Be aware that M42/K-mount adapters can exhibit this little 'problem' with some older lenses. I haven't found an M42/K-mount adapter yet that doesn't leak, but I'm looking.

I stole one of my wife's black hair scrunchies, slightly fuzzy with a velvety or terrycloth texture, and slipped it over the junction where I thought a lens adapter leaked a bit around the camera body.

Not the most elegant solution but seemed to work as far as I can tell.

I used to have black hair scrunchies but they all turned grey. :D

j/k...

A good idea.

I don't have any scrunchies. :D

I bought and use two CZJ 50mm in Exakta mount on my Lumix. One is a Zebra 50/2.8 which is quite nice for a 50mm. It is an 8million serial number. The other is a slightly earlier serial number than the ebay offering and is 50/3.5. Both are excellent in UV. Of course, on the Lumix 4/3 they act like 100mm.

By buying in Exakta mount, I got those lenses for less than $50 each on ebay.

Which Exakta-m4/3 adapter brand are you using Reed?

This is a good point Reed has made -->> that if you simply get an adapter, there are a lot of less expensive UV-capable lenses available in the less popular mounts. (...less popular these days, I mean. Very popular in former days...)

Reed,

Thanks for the tip on the adapter, I snagged a Steinheil Munchen Cassar S 2.8/50mm back in June and don't even have a mount for it yet!

I wish it had been in M42 but an adapter is now headed my way. I have found that seller reliable so far.

I spotted another Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm f:3.5 in Exaktaly your mount! :D

John D

I don't know if all the CZJ 50/3.5 are coated or not? Aren't there different models? I'll google around and see if I can find out anything.

But yes mine does OK!

I found this description on the Zeiss website.

If I understand it correctly T is single coating and T* is multi-coated.

Both of the lenses we linked were the older T lenses.

Is yours marked with a T ?

Gotta be quick.

BTW, it wasn't me who bought it.

This last week I only bought 6 lenses off Ebay but none of them were Exakta mount. :)

A Vivitar 200mm f/? chrome-nose, a Schacht 35/3.5, a Spiratone 75/3.5 flat-field macro, an Isco Gottingen 35/3.5, a Lentar 135/3.5 and a something-or-other which I will remember when I see it arrive.

I am having so much fun with this!

I'm enjoying the different ways that preset aperture mechanisms are designed. Quite varied. Some more easy to use than others.

I found this description on the Zeiss website.

If I understand it correctly T is single coating and T* is multi-coated.

Both of the lenses we linked were the older T lenses.

Is yours marked with a T ?

Many relatively recent tessars made by Carl Zeiss Jena do not have T* sign but are multicoated. But they are easy to identify.