UltravioletPhotography

Vegetable Garden Plants

I started documenting my vegetable flowers and some have pretty striking UV dark areas. I have a fair amount but will start tonight with a yet unknown gourd spp. It was a mix I planted. I will eventually figure it out. The flower is 6" in diameter.

I began to wonder if vegetable plant breeders take the UV signatures into consideration when they are breeding plants. Is it a dominant trait? I also wonder if UV can be bred into a species or enhanced. If I was a large Ag company breeding plants I would try and get the trait that attract the most pollinators, which could be the one with the best UV signature for bees.

It also seems that there are some cultivars that attract virtually zero pollinators (UV bred out?) and so I suspect have negligible useful UV signature. I will get a list together of said flowers and try and find out.

Someone with more knowledge on this feel free to shoot holes in my ramblings as I welcome the knowledge.

Visible;

1/100s f8 iso200 No Flash or Filters

UV:

1s f8 iso200 baader U No Flash

My Gear--http://www.ultraviol..._3314#entry3314

-D

post-51-0-22869100-1404697219.jpg

Good questions, Damon.

And I wish I knew the answers.

There are multiple ways of pollination and of attracting pollinators, so lack of a bullseye signature or lack of obvious insect pollinators does not mean that those flowers don't get pollinated.

Flowering plants may self-pollinate or be pollinated by wind or rain. They may reproduce asexually - i.e. "clone" themselves through seeds or through plantlets. They may reproduce via stolons. And so on.

I have an ornamental gourd photo set which is very similar to yours.

Looking forward to seeing your vegetable flower photos.

Be sure to formally post that Tomatillo !! :)

Funny, last few days I was doing cucumber (a larger area than this in UV darkness), tomato (also dark veins), cabbage (nice dark center), radish, and a daylily (petal has almost black in the lower end, I took one petal off to shoot it).

Thanks for the responses. Tomatillo is on it's way.

Something about that parthenocarpic way is unsettling.

I saw a duskywing fluttering from flower to flower on my watermelon--that was neat. I have a idea who is helping to pollinate that now.

It sure is fun taking the garden flowers.

-D

I'm thinking whether a separate Garden Vegetable section would be interesting?

The veggies, strictly speaking, fit under Cultivars, but still it would be fun.

Put them in Cultivars initially while I and Bjørn think it over about a new section.

Something about that parthenocarpic way is unsettling.

Lol. I'm guessing that the flowers consider our views about reproduction to be rather limited. :)

A garden section would be interesting. Give us some time to add some more and maybe that will help you in your decision. If it turns out not to be wise, then just dump them back into the cultivars.

Re: Limited repro views..Ha!

How so pompous and typically human centered of me!

-D