UltravioletPhotography

Potentilla spp, a blue potentilla?

Not sure if this is a potentilla but it looks to me it could be. but it is blue!

I shot tonight after taking it off from my backyard, a weed with a small white flower.

VIS

post-41-0-89232000-1404357655.jpg

UV

post-41-0-08571900-1404357655.jpg

This appears to be P. recta, VIS

post-41-0-47224500-1404357657.jpg

P. recta, UV

post-41-0-55502500-1404357656.jpg

Another one, small yellow flower

post-41-0-05139300-1404357658.jpg

totally black under UV,

post-41-0-71866900-1404357658.jpg

a red one under vis, P. fruticosa "Pink Beauty"?

post-41-0-43630100-1404357845.jpg

but black under UV

post-41-0-24405400-1404357846.jpg

All of these belong to the Rose Family (Rosaceae). Whether they all belong to Potentilla is unclear to me. Thus, habitus pictures are required to show the plant more or less in it entirety; photos showing the foliage, hairiness of stem, and so on are required. The floral structure alone is insufficient to give a reliable identification.

Potentilla fruticosa now is placed in Dasiphora. This shrub has UV-dark flowers with a shimmering due to the presence of conical cells.

Potentilla recta is a tall species with a sturdy stem and terminal clusters of large flowers, not a small creeping (?) plant.

A few members of this genus have white flowers. P. sterilis is the only one familiar to me, this is a small plant reminiscent of a strawberry Fragaria (also a potential candidate for your white flower as the styles are more Fragaria- than Potentilla-like). We often observe white flowers turning blue in false UV colours, although striking exceptions do exist. Drymocallis rupestris, formerly placed in Potentilla, has white flowers and a dark blue false-coloured UV appearance: http://www.ultraviol...ock-cinquefoil/

Bjorn,

Thank you! the small white one had a single erect stem about 8-10" tall. I will take a pic of its leaves tonight. it was raining this morning.

Now the first set of photos are more likely to be Ranunculus, instead of Potentilla...the curled stuff in the center now are fully extended (4 days later!) and i think functioning as a female flower.

I will move this post to UV Open Informal because here in UV Cultivars formal presentations are required, and only one species per post is permitted.

I'm not sure of the first flower - could be a Ranunculus type given the tall stem. A 8-10" tall stem would be strange for a strawberry.

There are several Potentilla with heart-shaped leaves. Your 2nd flower could be P. recta or P. gracilis, for example.

I think the 3rd flower is also a Potentilla.

• 2 weeks later...

here are the photos promised...sorry for being late.

leaves (by cell phone, I have it also by another camera but did not find it yet).

post-41-0-81830600-1405615672.jpg

fruit (or female flowers?)...i saw many of these now in Carbondale, IL also. this was taken there by G5.

post-41-0-51634100-1405615686.jpg

This is clearly a species of Avens (Geum) in the Rosaceae. No potentilla looks like this. The foliage is typical for a Geum as well. No idea what species except it isn't one I'm familiar with.

Thank you, Bjorn!

it appears to be quite close to:

Geum canadense

Common Name:

white avens

Scientific Name:

Geum canadense Jacq.

Family Name:

Rosaceae - Rose Family

According to the description, G .canadense has simple leaves. Several Geum have white flowers so colour alone cannot nail the true identity.